Terrible design flaw and weak materials in this latest O.S.S.

Review by CyberDyneSystems posted 06-20-2016 05:39 PM 3748 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Terrible design flaw and weak materials in this latest O.S.S. Terrible design flaw and weak materials in this latest O.S.S. Terrible design flaw and weak materials in this latest O.S.S. Click the pictures to enlarge them

We’ve wanted an O.S.S. in the shop for some years.
This year we had a windfall from the University and I was given 30 days to spend the money. (this is sort of a thing at Universities!)

For new machines in the $1,500.00 price range, I had settled on the Jet JOVS-10 some time ago based partly on my experience with the bench-top JBOSS-5. (which I have reviewed favorably in the past, and own at home)

Low and behold, Jet has replace the JOVS-10 with a newer model that sports many improved features.
All the online review sights seem to rank these improvements and the model highly.

Now normally I will not make a purchase of such an investment without getting my hands on it in a showroom etc, but two things made that impossible.

1- Short turn around, must get 3 bids, purchase orders, shipping etc, it all had to be delivered in a matter of weeks.

2 – Here in Rhode Island, there is not a single place that one can find one of these (or any woodworking machines) on display, In fact even over the borders in neighboring states I could not find one in a showroom.

The Sander arrived late last week, making our deadline of June 30 with room to spare.

THE UGLY:

As seen in the first image above, there was a problem right from the get go. The table which is designed to tilt front to back, has a decidedly noticeable lean to the right. Hmm.
As we moved it into location, one of us lifted from the table, and the right side managed to “pop” back up into place!

The next images I hope show what is happening, the “Trunnion” (as the JET parts list calls it, I use air quotes as to me a trunnion is a much heavier cast assembly with grooves and ways machines into it) is really nothing of the sort. It is a piece of stamped light gauge sheet-metal as opposed to a casting, and has absolutely nothing holding it onto the very small casting JET refers to as the “guide block”.

The guide block in fact is also nothing of the sort, having absolutely nothing on it or near it to actually guide the compass aspect of the “Trunnion” it is a mere fraction of an inch surface onto which the 1/16th or so steel compass is expected to sit, with nothing on the side to prevent it from slipping off.

Well it so happens that in the case of my unit, that’s exactly what it is prone to do any time you touch the table.

My temporary fix is seen above, where I removed the red angle needle and replaced it using the same screw and threaded hole to mount a washer which will prevent the trunnion from sliding off again.

The table on the JOSS-S is massive cast iron, (one of it’s selling points) and it is suspended above the base and spindle on these two half moon “ears” of light gauge stamped steel that has no lateral strength what so ever, and no guides to prevent it simply bending out, and dropping down.

The rest of the sheet metal seen below the arc cut out, the more substantial part with the degree numbers stamped into it, rests on NOTHING! It is simply floating in space, and is clamped from side to side when the tilt lock knobs are tightened.

I suspect that given the shipping method (fully assembled in a crate) that a VERY large percentage of units will receive a knock that will cause the inertia of the table to push the trunnions “ears” off side enough to bend them and drop the table, just as mine did.

Further, with such a massive heavy cast iron table on the spindly house of cards, even when the trunnions are not slipping, the table just does not give the impression of being stable.

THE BAD:
With the largest 3” diameter spindle installed, the machine does not appear to have enough strength to hold it straight while running. I do not feel too much deflection with it switched off, and with the bare spindle, or a smaller one, this is not noticeable, but with the 3” spindle it wobbles far off center as it strokes up and down. For this I will call JET and see what they suggest. I’ll update with results later.

Despite ease of access to handily stored accessories, table inserts, spindles, the actual task of swapping spindles is a chore. Access to the spindle lock and the nuts that hold the spindles on is very difficult. The oversized table is hard to get around, one feels a lot like a plumber working under a cramped bathroom sink cabinet.

The included wrench is terrible. Using it to get enough leverage to nut down a spindle, while also gripping the spindle lock is difficult. The stamped steel wrench is easily replaced with a more durable and easier to use wrench, but then we are faced with the spindle lock, also stamped steel, doing the other half of the job, and it is not so easily replaced.

The magnet provided to make the wrench easily accessible is not strong enough to hold the very flimsy light stamped steel wrench’s minimal weight, and the self adhesive that was intended to hold the magnet strips on to the wrench is too weak to do that!

The power switch though seemingly prominent, is placed too low on such a tall machine. The green switch is very odd to turn on, and the oversized red paddle to turn it off does not behave as one would expect, ie: not a paddle at all, but in fact just an oddly shaped button. Again, the oversized table helps to make getting at the power switches awkward at best.

THE GOOD:

A lot of the lay out of the machine is quite good. The table, when it isn’t flopping over to the side, is at a good working height of just over 39”, which is similar to most Bandsaw tables.

It’s cabinet has storage for everything! The cabinet door lock required reading of the instructions to figure out how to open it, but from then on it’s great to have access to the accessories.

The large protruding knobs that are used to control the tilt lock of the table are about the only thing near the top of the unit that are actually easy to get at. One can see from the stock photo how long the shafts are, which contributes to the ease of access here.

For anyone that does not need a production tool of this size, I would urge you to consider the smaller 1/3 price JBOSS-5. It is overall a more robust design for the class tool it is, and would compare very well to some of the floor models.

If a floor model is required, I’d suggest you look elsewhere. This tool is as whimpy as a do it yourselfer home owners tool under the hood, and simply not up to the task of a full on production tool. Perhaps the older JET JOVS-10 would be a better investment, sacrificing some convenience for a more durable design?

I admit that I am used to far more robust tools of an earlier era.
That said, I am have some modern machinery in my shop as well, such as an Original Saw Company 12” Radial Arm Saw, and a SawStop ICS, and even a “Chinese” Rikon 18” band saw. These heavy duty production tools in no way disappointed me. The Rikon cost me about $600.00 less than this sander and is SUBSTANTIALLY a more robust tool that I expect will last decades longer than the decade it has already served us well.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2094 days

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 06-20-2016 06:21 PM

Looks like a poorly-made tool, thanks for the heads up.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#2 posted 06-20-2016 06:45 PM

Disappointing to hear that Jet missed the mark on this one. I have had good luck with my Jet floor models, but haven’t used this one yet.

I would really like to see someone add an OSS with belt attachment to their lineup (similar to the Ridgid, but a floor model). The Ridgid is great for a home shop, but isn’t really built to withstand constant use or students.

View JPJ's profile

JPJ

#3 posted 06-22-2016 10:35 PM

Good review I’ll stay away.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2596 days

#4 posted 06-24-2016 07:44 PM

Send it back and stay away from Jet from now on , And let them know your doing it. And a link to this review to their Customer Support Dept. .

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2094 days

#5 posted 06-24-2016 08:44 PM

I wish I had the option to send it back, if it was a personal purchase, I would absolutely do that.

In this case, with the odd nature of the University’s fiscal year deadlines, If I don’t have it or another one in the shop on June 30, I won’t have one for years to come. No way I can get it returned, and a new PO approved, and another delivered in time.

Silly I know, but out of my control.

In the meantime, I have been hacking the table support to fix shipping damage and make it more sturdy.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View Mikesawdust's profile

Mikesawdust

#6 posted 06-27-2016 12:42 PM

We have much the same purchasing problem in the government. The woodshop on base purchased a new planer with motorized adjustments and digital readouts. In our case it is a nice shelf, it wont feed wood that isn’t Flat already and even flat wood has to be pushed and pulled out the exit side; making it a workout for two people. They have had the store maintenance person come and adjust it three times over the past four years with no improvement in it’s function; they had to pay for this service as well. Being rushed to purchase usually doesn’t work well for the customer.

-- You never cut a piece to short, you are just prepping that piece for a future project

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#7 posted 06-29-2016 04:19 PM

It’s sad when a company designs a load bearing component so poorly. Thanks for pointing these problems out, this machine was on my hot list, but not anymore.