Big Quality of Life Improvement

Review by jonah posted 06-17-2016 07:02 PM 2889 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Big Quality of Life Improvement Big Quality of Life Improvement No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been wearing plane jane, relatively cheap hearing protection for a long time. I have several different pairs, including a pretty comfortable 3M pair that I like. However, I had always wanted some way to play music while working in the shop. The wireless headphone + hearing protectors were always too much money (> $100) for me.

Until I saw that Amazon had a lightning deal in December for this 3M Worktunes Wireless. I jumped on it for $65. The very same pair costs $85 at Home Depot or other sources. $65 was just enough cheaper to where I thought it was worth it.

So far, about six months in, I am very pleased with the Worktunes. They are comfortable and actually sound decent. They have an aggressive volume-limiting system which I completely understand, but which occasionally annoys me when I can’t turn a song up loud enough. I understand that it is mean to protect our hearing, and using hearing protection and blasting music are sort of counterproductive, but I wish I could crank just a few more dB out of them.

There are two other niggles that prevent this unit from being five stars. One is the antenna. It is there because the set has an AM/FM radio built in. That’s nice, but I don’t listen to the radio on it. I’d love to be able to remove the antenna. My shop is in my basement with steam heating pipes up overhead, and I often hit the antenna on them. It’s a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

The other problem is that the unit always turns on in FM radio mode. I have to turn it in then press the function button a couple of times to get it to bluetooth mode. Another minor annoyance, but it happens enough that I’m mentioning it.

All in all, I’m very pleased with the Worktunes. It does a superb job filtering out even high pitch noises like a router and a superb one with low frequency noise like my dust collector. Often I’ll pull the headset off and realize I’d left the dust collector on, which is a statement about how quiet it is inside the unit.

The three minor issues outlined above bring it from five to four stars, but it’s still a quality product that I’d buy again at the price I paid. Being able to listen to music (or podcasts, or whatever) while working in the shop is a huge quality of life improvement.

#1 posted 06-17-2016 07:09 PM

Love my worktunes. I have three pairs, and they all have different features. One is analog and super basic. One is digital but still pretty basic (my favorite). The third loudly pronounces the radio station and beeps when the batteries are low. I find those two features highly annoying.

Overall they are great to have.

Try bending the antenna in half and securing it with a zip tie.

View abie's profile

abie

#2 posted 06-19-2016 01:43 PM

I’ve owned two..
Both have battery issues and now I can’t hear any radio nor music from my Iphoe

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

#3 posted 06-19-2016 08:02 PM

I have yet to replace the batteries in my set. In fact, I was just thinking about that the other day and was impressed that they’ve lasted so long on a pair of AAs.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#4 posted 06-20-2016 02:22 AM

I’ve been interested in these, but don’t know if they will suite those of us who have over-the-ear hearing aids due to feedback. :-/

#5 posted 06-20-2016 05:42 PM

I ve been interested in these, but don t know if they will suite those of us who have over-the-ear hearing aids due to feedback. :-/

- Rayne

Rayne , I wear a pair of over-the-ear hearing aids and these work just fine with them. I think it may come down to what brand or model of hearing aids you have as to weather they will work or not. But then most of the time I take the hearing aids off when I am working with the tools , cuts down on the noise level a lot. :)

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#6 posted 06-24-2016 11:20 AM

- Richard

Good to hear someone else has used them with no issues (no pun intended). Thanks Richard. I think I’ll give these a shot. I have thought about removing my hearing aids when working with tools, but I always fear the need to hear some background noise in case something happens. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

#7 posted 06-24-2016 06:28 PM

- Richard

Good to hear someone else has used them with no issues (no pun intended). Thanks Richard. I think I ll give these a shot. I have thought about removing my hearing aids when working with tools, but I always fear the need to hear some background noise in case something happens. Maybe I m overthinking it.

- Rayne

I would think with the sound reduction of the muffs and the sound of the music that the background noise would have to be pretty loud to hear it . But then I don’t hear a lot of it anyway without the hearing aids.

View jgt1942's profile

jgt1942

#8 posted 06-27-2016 06:22 AM

I don’t have a set of these but I’m leaning to a no, mainly because of the antenna and the annoying steps to get to the blue tooth (from the comments above).

By chance has anybody tried the Ausdom ANC7 Active Noise-Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones? It seems to have some decent reviews. On Amazon they are listed for $130 (2016 0626) thus quite a bit more expensive. Of course the Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones are top dog but so is the price at $350.

-- JohnT

#9 posted 06-28-2016 09:47 AM

I have a nice pair of audio technica noise canceling headphones and they aren’t suitable for use in the shop. They are designed to block out low frequency noise almost exclusively, which means they work great on my dust collector but not at all on a router or sander producing high frequency noise.

View xrogers's profile

xrogers

#10 posted 07-03-2016 01:40 PM

On BTE and other hearing aids with power tools, my newish digital aids actually reduce the sound (act as earplugs), especially for loud implies sounds like hammering, so I keep them on when in the shop. Thanks for the review, these hearing protectors sound like an excellent idea.

#11 posted 07-05-2016 03:55 PM

- xrogers

Yes most of the Newer hearing aids have an automatic response to sudden loud noise to reduce the sound but mine don’t seem to continue reducing the sound for something like the Table Saw or Router that go for a longer time , just seems to work for the initial startup noise then tapers off until I am hearing the full noise level . But then they are actually designed mostly to Help you hear .

#12 posted 07-05-2016 04:37 PM

If you wear hearing aids, why not just turn them off?

#13 posted 07-05-2016 05:38 PM

If you wear hearing aids, why not just turn them off?

- jonah

Of course if you wear hearing aids you can just turn them off and not hear as much of the noise , but the idea of wearing these with or without hearing aids is prevent any more loss of hearing than you already have.

#14 posted 07-06-2016 04:12 AM

That makes sense. I will say that as I noted in the review, the Worktunes doesn’t get very loud, so someone who needs hearing aids likely won’t be able to hear it even at max volume.

#15 posted 07-06-2016 07:54 PM

That makes sense. I will say that as I noted in the review, the Worktunes doesn t get very loud, so someone who needs hearing aids likely won t be able to hear it even at max volume.

- jonah

Mine get loud enough for me to hear them even without the hearing aids since they are so close to the ear and reduce the outside noise , but with them on no problem at all.