Very little vibration on this little guy

Review by sIKE posted 07-01-2009 06:14 PM 2126 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very little vibration on this little guy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I blogged yesterday my old PC 333 ROS went to the great tool yard in the sky in the middle of my project. I needed something quick so I could finish the project. After looking through the reviews here at LJ’s this was the one my mind was set on. It was $70 at Lowe’s but I got them to honor a coupon from the BORG and got $5 off.

PRO’s

- Very little vibration, unlike the old PC
- Dust Collection was very effective as previously noted
- Nice long power cord – seems to be a Bosch trait as it’s the same for my Jig Saw
- Nice cushiony grip – see Cons though
- The body is narrower than the pad so you can eaisly get up in the edges of your project
- Variabale speed is very nice

CON’s
- The grip is a bit wide for my hand
- The black rubber handle will cause a streak if you are sanding shelves and you raise the sander up and hit the side of the case. Not a big deal as you just sand it out.
- It is a bit heaiver than my old PC

I have to highly recommend this Sander. Gave it four stars as the handle is a tad bit big for an average sized hand. Now I just need to finish using up my boxes of 5 hole disks as this guy uses 8 holes :(

#1 posted 07-01-2009 06:35 PM

Thanks for the review, sIKE. This looks like a nice ROS. My Dewalt is still working but I am sure it is going to need replacing in the near term so I will keep this one in mind. And it gives me another excuse to wander through Tool World. :)

View EricWrights's profile

EricWrights

94 posts in 1937 days

#2 posted 07-01-2009 10:21 PM

At 2.2 Amps I would consider this a “finishing” sander. It doesn’t have the grit of the other 3.0 Amp random orbital I use. The 8’ flexible cord is very nice. Th sealed power switch is sometimes difficult to engage. The variable speed function probably will never be used other than max position. The dust collection filter is the best I’ve used. The big down side is the cost of repair parts. Bearings can not be purchased separately, you have to replace the whole armature at half the cost of the sander. Brushes have to be purchased as an assembly rather than a set which doubles that cost. This unit comes with a one year warranty vs others out there of lesser cost that have a three year to a lifetime warranty. The bottom line is, I do not think this product is of good value because I can not justify the purchased price. Unfortunately, I did not research the “parts” situation until after the purchase.

-- Sawing, sanding, scraping, cutting? Let Rockwell Sonicrafter do the job. http://rockwellsonicrafter.com & A more general blog at http://resay.org

View degoose's profile

degoose

7038 posts in 2040 days

#3 posted 07-01-2009 10:24 PM

I have had the a similar model [same brand] for 1 year now and it is a little ripper,, it is more than a ‘finishing’ sander,, I use it in preference to the 6’’ Metabo duo orbit I have,
Cost me AU$138.00 and well worth the purchase price,
I also use it for oil burnishing,

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#4 posted 07-01-2009 10:42 PM

Good luck I am glad you are pleased with it.I had a similar one made by dewalt which heated up so much you couldn’t hold it I got my money back .I’ll never buy dewalt stuff again I’ve had alot of problems with it .I am a firm makita guy from now on.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Thomas Keefe's profile

Thomas Keefe

131 posts in 2095 days

#5 posted 07-01-2009 11:00 PM

I just bought this sander about 2 weeks ago. I am really impressed with the dust collection and
the low noise level. I think it is great.

Tom

#6 posted 07-02-2009 01:06 AM

Yes noise level is another positive for this guy. He seems to be about 1/3 less loud than the old PC.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#7 posted 07-02-2009 04:54 AM

I had mine for about 3 months ago. The most handy one among all my power sanders.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2012 days

#8 posted 07-02-2009 08:36 AM

Thanks for the review sIKE…I am slowly becoming a true blue Bosch fan. I have all of their smaller cordless drills and drivers up to their 18 volt drill…and LOVE them all. I have to many sanders as it is….but when a few of them bite the dust….this will be the replacement.

-- Don S.E. OK

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#9 posted 07-02-2009 10:07 AM

These are great little sanders. I work at Lowe’s part time and I here nothing but good about this sander from the customers who have bought them. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Rick's profile

Rick

#10 posted 12-17-2009 08:18 PM

mine vibrates like crazy and wants to jerk around when it gets to grain moving another direction.

#11 posted 12-20-2009 05:01 AM

I have not had that issue. I have been using it for 6 months now and really really like it. I do on rare occasion wish it were not quite so tall. Very minor issue….

#12 posted 12-20-2009 05:12 AM

Thanks for the good review