Fastcap RCV remote is a great timesaver

Review by DW833 posted 06-15-2016 02:01 AM 2752 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fastcap RCV remote is a great timesaver Fastcap RCV remote is a great timesaver Fastcap RCV remote is a great timesaver Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I’ve completed several improvements to dust collection in my small shop. One of the goals was simple, to use the DC at all times. However, I had a floor switch for the DC that I had to walk to and press to turn on DC.
Purchased this unit at Rockler for ~$30. Installation was less than 5 minutes. I have it connected to a HF 2hp DC.
Have no problems with it and now I carry the remote with me using a clip. Not only do I use the DC more often, it is a timesaver too.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 06-15-2016 04:51 AM

Looks useful. I should pick one up if I ever get my crappy dust collection in order. As it is, it seems like all I do is sweep up messes.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#2 posted 06-15-2016 04:54 AM

I love them as well…but buy a couple extra batteries…mine ran down and I had a heck of a time finding the right battery

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View brtech's profile

brtech

#3 posted 06-15-2016 01:31 PM

I don’t have any experience with this unit. The only spec I can find is “10 amps”, and the warning: Designed for vacuum use only, not for use with other dust collectors. I suspect it isn’t really hefty enough for a real DC. These things use a relay, and relays are rated by the current you can safely pass. Motor start up on a DC is pretty hefty.

I use the Woods 32555 Weatherproof Outdoor Outlet Wireless Remote Control, which is rated 125-Volt,13 Amp , 1625W Resistive / 8 Amp, 1000W Tungsten, and is UL listed. It’s 1/3 of the price ($10.20) on Amazon. I had one for 3 years running my HF “2HP” DC. It died one day and I spent another $10 replacing it with the same unit. Working fine now. The FastCap, like the Woods is made in China

#4 posted 06-15-2016 02:38 PM

It is rated 15 amp load. You can see it on second picture. Did consider that and from reading other reviews it works well with similar DC. So far no problems with it.

View philba's profile

philba

#5 posted 06-15-2016 05:14 PM

If your DC pulls too much, you can use something like the fastcap to drive a contactor which switches on the DC. Fairly cheap and easy to put together.

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

228 posts in 1971 days

#6 posted 06-19-2016 01:03 PM

At Christmas time you can go to either Big Box store and pick up a single channel 15 amp remote for $9 or a three channel for about $20. Just sayin’

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2594 days

#7 posted 06-21-2016 08:13 PM

- RandyinFlorida

I got one of those 3 channel units and it popped the one that I had on my Big Shop Vac the first time I used it . So now I have 2 channels that work and only use them on lights. I think those are mostly for X-mas tree lights and stuff like that.

#8 posted 10-21-2016 03:01 AM

As an update to my original post. The device is no longer working. The remote works and when clicks will change the status light from green to red and back. However, the DC will not turn on when it should. I emailed fastcap, but no response. Anyone had the same experience? Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot it?

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2594 days

#9 posted 10-21-2016 06:07 PM

- DW833

I am pretty sure if you told Fast Cap you used it on a DC they would say your out of Luck as it states on the package Not for use on a DC.