What a Great Tool

Review by Taigert posted 07-01-2009 08:41 AM 3387 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What a Great Tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The 22-44 Oscillating Sander was a Luxury on my wish list. But I have no regrets at all. It does everything it claims it will do and then some.
It comes in three boxes, the base, sander head, feed table. Make sure you have some muscle on hand to assemble this monster. To save on a hernia repair it wouldn’t hurt to have a chain fall, come along to lift the sander head. Besides being very heavy due to the solid cast iron construction, it is a off balanced lift. 90% of the weight is at on end of the machine, the motor end.
The directions are well written so assembly went well. I was really impressed with how well everything is built. The base is very solid and stout, there is no question in my mind that this base will have no problem supporting the load. The base comes in five pcs, that fit together really well.
The sander head attaches with for bolts from below, lots of room to work inside the cabinet. My son broke off some off the styrofoam for a pillow and just laid on his back, with no problem.
The only thing I would warn you about is that the sander head slides really easy sitting ontop of the base, it would be very easy to slide it right off the base if you are not carefull. You would not want it falling on you as your trying to get the bolts in.
The feed table takes two minutes to attach with four allen screws. The instructions warn you that the belt is over tensioned for transport, so remember to adjust it before running it.
Total assembly time about 30 minutes.

I couldn’t wait to see it work, hooked up the dust collector, and we are up and running. The closest wood I could grab was a piece of Hard Maple with a live edge.12/4×20x48 really deep saw marks from being cut on a old rotary mill. The blade dia. at the will is about 60” you get the picture. The 22-44 did a great job, it didn’t care what it was being fed, man does that monster make sawdust. I ran the wood thru with out the Oscillating on first. The feed rate will run faster this way. the next pass with the oscillation on. I’m running 80 grit as factory loaded, it does a fantastic job.
I didn’t get the infeed & outfeed tables yet, should have them in two days, but they are a must have item. They are at extra cost of around $100.00

Would I recommend thiks tool- you bet I would.
Well worth the money

-- Taigert - Milan, IN

View Taigert's profile

Taigert

#1 posted 07-01-2009 12:05 PM

Thanks for the review, Ed. I have had one of these on my wish list and the info that you provided in this review certainly has moved this one to the top of the list.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2048 days

#2 posted 07-01-2009 01:52 PM

Good review EdC…....really nice machine…..well done.

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#3 posted 07-02-2009 02:22 AM

Great review sounds like the winner Jet claims it to be . Does that have a built-in mobile base ?

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#4 posted 07-02-2009 02:34 AM

Looks like Jet knew a good thing when they saw it. The sander is a Performax set on a Jet made base.

Performax , now jet makes a great sander!

I couldn’t live without it now that I have one.

#5 posted 07-02-2009 11:28 PM

I wish that I had waited and saved some more money , but I wasted it on a Delta X5 : (
Congratulations ! : )

View poroskywood's profile

poroskywood

614 posts in 2051 days

#6 posted 09-09-2009 09:37 PM

Ed, Thinking of getting this sander. Any updates to this post? Any trouble with picking up burn lines at all, I don’t expect so as the moving head is suppose to eliminate this. I only want to buy a drum sander once if you know what I mean. I’ll probably be using mostly 150 to 180 grit.

-- There's many a slip betwixt a cup and a lip.--Scott

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#7 posted 09-21-2009 11:31 PM

I have this same sander and it IS all that! I have had mine for over a year already and I have run 220 grit and I have also run 36 grit….my planer was down…LOL
Once the heavy lifting of assembly is over it is a Fantastic machine….good dust collection is a must.
thanks for a great review

-- Jerry - Rochester, MN *Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right* - Henry Ford

View Jonathan Alson's profile

Jonathan Alson

#8 posted 08-09-2011 05:05 PM

I agree with Jerry, it is fantastic, and the oscillating feature is absolutely brilliant, you really notice the difference. There is another review of it over at: drum sander reviews if anyone needs any more convincing that is is a great piece of kit! Some people mentioned some trouble replacing the paper, but I have personally not encountered this.