Well worth the price

Review by stefang posted 06-12-2016 03:01 PM 3126 views 2 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Well worth the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

2 years experience
I bought these planes a couple of years ago. I didn’t want to give my verdict on them before getting enough experience with them to really know if I liked them or not. I also wanted to compare them with my regular Stanley planes. The Quangsheng planes are the ones with the light beech totes in the photo above.

My Experience with hand planes in general
Prior to this purchase my only experience with hand planes has been my Stanley #5 jack plane I bought about 30 or 40 years ago and a Stanley #4 smoother purchased about 4 years ago and a Stanley block plane. Even though I had the #5 a long time, I never really knew much about hand planes except how to sharpen them. It’s only in recent years I’ve learned how to prep them and adjust them for best results. Since then I have learned a lot more about hand planes on LJ, youtube and the web with the result than my Stanley’s are now top performers too.

The bottom line
In my opinion the Quangsheng Bedrock type planes are excellent quality at a reasonable price point. The blades hold an edge a long time even with heavy use and the adjustments are precise. I did not have to level the frog seats or the frog surfaces. They were nicely machined, smooth and dead flat. I got beautiful results planing my two shop-made bench tops and everything else I have used them for.

They are pretty heavy
My only reservation about these planes are the weight. I’m old (76) and arthritic so I do feel the extra weight compared to my Stanleys, however, I doubt this would be a problem for younger or healthier folks, so I won’t downgrade my 5 star rating for this point.

Comparison with Lie Nielsen planes
It is my understanding that the Quangsheng Bedrock design is a Lie Nielsen knock-off with just a few small differences. That said, the LN planes still come out on top, but according to various reviews I have read, not significantly. This is only second hand information on my part since I have never used an LN plane, so if I’m wrong please go easy on me. Price is where the Quangsheng planes really excel compared to LN at roughly about half the price (for me anyway). Mine were bought under the brand name ‘Dick’ from Dictum, a German tool retailer on the net.

For first time plane buyers
If you are thinking about buying hand planes and want new ones without a lot of tuning fuss, then quangsheng planes could be a good investment, but if you don’t want to spend a lot then some older used Stanleys would be a better choice and you can learn how to get them into prime condition with a little elbow grease and info available on the net.

#1 posted 06-12-2016 03:20 PM

Thanks for the super review Mike.

View kiefer's profile

kiefer

#2 posted 06-12-2016 09:39 PM

Well they look like well made planes and by your account they work as well as they look but it bothers me that they are copies and made with low cost labour which I don’t think is fair but allows the dealer to make more profit margin .

Klaus

-- Kiefer https://www.youtube.com/user/woodkiefer1/videos

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 06-13-2016 05:29 AM

I am the wrong guy to be commenting here. I have an old Stanley #4, that I did a very rough sharpening job on this week to tackle a job that I wouldn’t risk my Veritas #4 plane to do. The Stanley I bought new 35 years ago or more. I limit my hand work, so planes are not a primary issue.

I kept the old Stanley, because of an LJ saying I might need it for a job like this one, with a buried screw in the path. I have three other planes, all Veritas, received as gifts, a #4, a block plane, and a shoulder plane. Not being a heavy plane user, I only have to say that I will keep in mind this review, because I cannot indulge myself in high end stuff any more….........now retired.

So thanks Mike for the review. I remember a few reviews here on LJ’s that led me to a purchase. All of them resulted in excellent purchases for the money. They are all in use today. I think my favorite is the Oshlun Dado Stack that has performed admirably for a very reasonable price. It never disappoints and I have no complaints.

It is difficult as an individual to worry about the manufacturers we might support. The arguments involved are complex beyond belief. At some point, we just adjust to the world foisted upon us. Especially, we in the retired world. With relatively fixed incomes, it is just down to survival and making do.

Mike, I think you or I could write a book on this topic, but have more fun things to do…..........(-:

Thanks again, for the review.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#4 posted 06-13-2016 08:13 AM

I see your point Klaus, but remember that the Lie Nielsen planes are a copy of the Stanley Bedrock planes with just a couple of small differences. I wanted good quality planes and I couldn’t justify the cost of Lie Nielsen or Veritas planes. Just about everything we buy today is made in China. Importing planes from the U.S. or Canada is out of the question for me especially considering the extremely high freight costs that I would have to pay to get them to Norway. My local tool dealer has Veritas planes. Their #5 jack plane costs Nkr. 3,500 or U.S. $424 plus Freight. A price I just couldn’t justify for the amount of hand planing I do. It would be nice to buy stuff made in our own countries, but the fact is that most manufacturing has been flagged out to other nations. I hope that will change.

#5 posted 06-13-2016 08:23 AM

Jim Yes, I mostly use the jointer and planer for larger jobs although I am finding that even a bit difficult these days. For small jobs the hand planes are the least work and the most accurate too. I have been using them more and more over the years. My last big job was hand planing my bench top and my assembly table top. I really don’t want to do that much planing at one time again. I have gained new respect for my Stanley planes after watching several Paul Sellers videos on the subject and I often reach for them first to benefit from their lower weight.

View Roger's profile

20873 posts in 2614 days

#6 posted 06-13-2016 12:41 PM

Thnx for your review Mike

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#7 posted 06-13-2016 01:45 PM

Mike, I have 6 Stanley planes I inherited from my dad. In the past 10 years I picked up 3 very old non stanley planes at garage sales. Now where as the stanleys are know to be proven, the 2 dunlaps and the miller falls are my go to planes. With the help of LJ’s getting them tuned, I agree with you that other planes can be just as effected as Stanleys. I am not familar with Quangsheng brand but it sounds like in your review you are happy and they work well. I’m not a big hand plane guy and do love my Stanleys a lot, but for the amount of work I do with them, anyone I own will do the job.
Thanks for the review, it was interesting.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#8 posted 06-13-2016 02:13 PM

I agree with the weight issue, the Stanley is much lighter than the Veritas. One of these idle days, I will have to tune up that old Stanley and make it into a proper plane again. But it did the job I required of it the other day…........and I didn’t hit the screw….........(-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#9 posted 06-13-2016 04:42 PM

Dave I do think that a well tuned older Stanley Bailey type plane like Dunlap and Miller Falls is probably just as nice to use as Lie Nielsen or other high priced planes. It seems nowadays that a lot of folks put much emphasis on getting beautiful planes that are ready to go right out of the box, and that’s ok, but with a relatively small effort tuning an old plane together with proper sharpening and adjustment they can get pretty much the same performance if not the bling appearance.

Jim Good way to go. I found and old Kunz smoother, Stanley Bailey type, at my local thrift store and I’m derusting it and tuning it up. I’ll post a little blog on the process when I’m finished with it (I want to make sure it works well first). I’m doing a little on it every day and it’s nearly finished so it should be ready in a couple more days. Although I’ve heard some disparaging words about kunz, I think/hope this old plane is going to be a good performer.

View jim65's profile

jim65

#10 posted 06-13-2016 06:42 PM

I have a shoulder plane from Dictum, its great. They sell very good quality and a good price – at least as European pricing goes – everything is more expensive here. Good tools and good support, I think if you bought if from them, then the quality would be fine. In the end, it’s wood, not a formula one engine and the price of some of the high end planes is really absurd. Thanks for the review!

-- Jim, Marostica Italy

#11 posted 06-13-2016 07:24 PM

Interesting Jim. I also have a Kunz copy of the Stanley #80 scraper plane I bought from Dictum and a host of other things from them too and I agree that their quality and prices are generally pretty good. Great for those of us living on the other side of the pond.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#12 posted 06-13-2016 08:01 PM

I may be wrong, but I thought that Woodriver planes were Quangsheng planes.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#13 posted 06-14-2016 02:42 AM

Pretty sure they’re pumping them all out from the same factory.

Sold through dictum there and woodriver here maybe?

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#14 posted 06-14-2016 03:45 AM

I am pretty sure…Quansheng and Woodriver are one and same. Good midpriced alternative.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 1998 days

#15 posted 06-14-2016 06:42 AM

Yes, these are the same plane as WoodRiver. Woodcraft is the US distributor.

I have three “Woodriver” planes now alongside an array of Stanley’s that are mostly much older than I am, and find them to be excellent tools. Heavy! If your used to a Bailey, you will be a bit taken aback :)

-- Without the wood, it's just working