Handy, Cheap Utility Handsaw

Review by CharlesA posted 06-05-2016 01:30 PM 2533 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Handy, Cheap Utility Handsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this Do It Best handsaw when I needed one on the road and I had very limited choices. I didn’t have high hopes for it, but thought it would get me out of a jam, and it’s only $13.

Turns out I use it all the time. Now when I need to cut a piece off of a rough cut board for milling, etc. I don’t reach for my jigsaw or always stick it on the miter saw. If it is just one cut, I grab this little handsaw and usually have the cut done before I’d have the power tool ready to turn on. It has a double tooth design (it may be the Stanley shartptooth design—not sure). The tooth design leads to very quick and surprisingly good cuts, but I don’t think one could resharpen it.

Not the greatest saw ever, but I find it incredibly handy to have hanging in the shop, to grab and make a quick crosscut on a rough board.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3351 posts in 1995 days

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

#1 posted 06-05-2016 04:01 PM

i have one just like this and I use it just like you described. Definitely not for fine woodworking, but it will make little ones out of big ones in good time.

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 06-05-2016 06:14 PM

It’s efficient in trimming branches as well, good call Folks.

View bandit571's profile

bandit571

#3 posted 06-07-2016 03:53 PM

Old Ted is back again….fried spam, anyone?

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

#4 posted 06-07-2016 04:50 PM

Cricket’s post: When you spot a spammer

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!