Powertec 70001 Dust Collector Bag for HF dust collector is a great improvement

Review by DW833 posted 06-05-2016 02:14 AM 4444 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powertec 70001 Dust Collector Bag for HF dust collector is a great improvement No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had used the bag that came with the HF 2hp dust collector since purchasing it a couple of years ago.
Always had lots of fine dust everywhere in the shop. Knew that it wasn’t doing a very good job and decided to upgrade.

I purchased this bag from Amazon for 29.99 with free shipping. Installation is no different than the original bag.
It is certainly a thicker bag, but still fits the same as the original. The improvement in the reduction of fine dust
in the shop is amazing. I estimate that fine dust is reduced by 90%. I notice no difference in suction
power of the DC. I think the bag is just better at capturing and containing the fine dust and doesn’t affect anything else.

Discussed the improvement with a fellow woodworker and my bubble was burst at how much better this bag is over the original. He thought the original bag was most likely doing next to nothing, so any bag would be an improvement.

I highly recommend this bag as a replacement for the bag came with the HF 2hp DC.

View DW833's profile

DW833

220 posts in 1967 days

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#1 posted 06-05-2016 06:17 AM

well the bag is a less expensive option but I would go get a pleated filter that should increase the surface area and improve the airflow plus filter at a much higher lever at the same time

they do not pay me to post this. I paid them for their product but when you choose wynn it is a win win situation http://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

View brtech's profile

brtech

#2 posted 06-06-2016 03:02 PM

Another vote for the Wynn rather than this bag.

It’s not the dust you can see that affects your health. It’s the really, really small stuff, less than a micron.
The pleated cannister filters filter out those particles pretty effectively, and the bag doesn’t. And as playingwithmywood says, it INCREASES airflow, because it has so much more surface area. Easy to install.

View amt's profile

amt

#3 posted 06-12-2016 03:44 PM

Stick with you new bag unless you get a cyclone. A filter will clog in no time on a single stage DC. The bag will at least collapse and release dust on the inside when the DC is off. The newer bags are far better in filtration than the older high micron ones. If your bag filters to 1 micron then you are good to go.

-- -Andrew

View DW833's profile

DW833

220 posts in 1967 days

#4 posted 06-13-2016 12:28 AM

Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback on filters and single stage DC. I did not know that. I plan on using the bag for some time.
I don’t have room in my shop for two stage anyway.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2050 posts in 3029 days

#5 posted 06-15-2016 04:49 PM

While these may allow some dust smaller than a micron in the air, it remains they are an improvement over five and up micron bags that come on too many systems. At the price, it makes making the shop environment better more likely for many of us.