Cuttermasters C.B.N. wheels are cool, fast, smooth and superb!

Review by CyberDyneSystems posted 06-02-2016 06:41 PM 2573 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cuttermasters C.B.N. wheels are cool, fast, smooth and superb! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Cuttermasters C.B.N. Grinding wheels have made drill sharpening easier, cleaner and faster.

I had read about these wheels on another sight, and when I had finished rebuilding my 1980s era Darex drill bit sharpening grinder, I decided to splurge on what I had heard was “the best”

I am so pleased, I can see myself buying more of these wheels for my regular bench grinder soon.

Some advantages of C.B.N. (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels.

-Cool Running: I’m not sure how much of it is due to CBN, or the fact that the wheels are a giant heavy steel heat sick, but the drill bits can be cut pretty aggressively on these wheels with no bluing, in fact the tips are barely above room temp to touch right after grinding! I’ve never come close to “burning a bit” or anything else on these.

- They can’t explode: In some applications this can mean working with no guard. I am keeping mine on to prevent anything get caught in the wheels, however the sides are smooth steel which you can run your finger against while it’s running with no fear of injury. (Be careful of the edge of the cutting surface! that will hurt you!)

- Fixed size: They do not wear down as you use them. The flat surface remains flat. For drill bit sharpening this is important,. no need to re-adjust jigs as dimension reduces, no need to maintain a flat surface with a dresser.

- Factory balanced: Combined with the fact that I could get them in a variety of arbor sizes, this meant no spacers, no balancers, just smooth quiet perfectly balanced operation right off the bat.

I have used these on the Darex set up so far. I’ve sharpened a few years worth of damaged or dull bits in a busy shop (about 60 drill bits) thus far, and used it to touch up a few turning tools as well. the results are simply fantastic.

These are worth the scary high price in the long run.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2094 days

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 06-02-2016 06:50 PM

Any idea how do they compare to the d-way wheels?

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2094 days

#2 posted 06-02-2016 07:19 PM

I don’t, but I would not be surprised if the D-Way wheels come from the same source. (just a theory, I think Cuttermaster makes them, but I doubt D-way does)

“Hurricane” is another brand that pops up. I went with the Cuttermasters based on a recommendation specifically for the drill sharpeners, they have sizes made to fit that grinder exactly.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 06-03-2016 11:33 AM

Oh, such envy…If I could only afford them.
I’ve had the pleasure of using one at my Woodcraft. Don’t think it was the Cuttermaster, but a similar unit.
Just astounding how much better these are than any traditional wheel.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#4 posted 07-28-2016 09:01 AM

I have D-Way wheels and love them! Takes about 5 seconds to sharpen a tool. I tend to use the 180 grit more than the 80. Worth every penny, grinder, wheels and wolverine one jig adds up but you have it you’ll wonder why you waited so long to get rid of the wet grinder. My Tormek sits in the cabinet now