Square Joints with a Hand Plane

Review by CreekWoodworker posted 06-28-2009 04:33 PM 6186 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Square Joints with a Hand Plane Square Joints with a Hand Plane Square Joints with a Hand Plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had trouble getting perfectly square leg tapers and joints with my hand planes so decide to try out the Veritas Jointer Fence sold by Lee Valley. I was a little leery of it since it is attached to the side of a hand plane by magnets …can magnets really hold or will the fence pop off with every swipe?

It comes with a stop that screw that fits into pre-drilled threaded holes in the fence (NO holes or screws into the plane). There are two sets of stop positions in front and back of the fence. This allows for placing the fence on the right or left side of the plane. One of the stop position is for no. 4 or 5 planes the other stop position is for no. 6, 7, or 8 planes. My zoomed in picture shows the back side of the fence with the stop screw in the no. 4/5 position.

I attached the fence to my no. 5 1/4 Veritas bench plane using the no 4/5 stop position. My first impression was this is solid, but will it hold. I went to work on my current project which is using tapered legs. After a few swipes with the plane my concerns are over, this thing really works! I’m able to get perfectly square tapers and joints. And does it hold?, well… I had to tap the fence lightly with a bass hammer to move it slightly forward to remove it. I think what happens during use is the fence stop will slide up against the plane and really holds on. The stop screw in combination with the powerful magnets keeps a really tight grip.

There is also a coupe of pre-drilled counter sunk holes for attaching a beveled strip of wood to the fence. This allows you to plane at angles other than 90 degrees. The strip of wood can be attached using #10 flat head screws. I haven’t tried this feature out yet but expect it will work also.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

#1 posted 06-28-2009 04:46 PM

Hey Mike
interesting review.Thanks

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2218 days

#2 posted 06-28-2009 06:16 PM

Does this work for Stanley or similar planes too, or is it just for Veritas planes? Looks like a slick idea, thanks for reviewing. BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

#3 posted 06-28-2009 06:36 PM

BTKS, After seeing your comment I went to the shop and put it on a Stanley no. 4 I bought at Lowes. Yes it works and covers the whole length of the plane. It should work on any cast iron plane, my guess is a no. 4 is probably as small as you can go. I put it on a block plane but only one of the magnets holds it. Might due for light duty block plane work. Since it uses magnets I doubt it will work on brass body planes.

View scopemonkey's profile

scopemonkey

#4 posted 06-30-2009 04:45 AM

Nice review. You can also make your own. Check this out by fellow LJ Thos.Angle.

-- GSY from N. Idaho

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#5 posted 06-30-2009 05:05 AM

Neat idea!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#6 posted 07-01-2009 02:16 AM

Gavin,
Thanks for the link to the jointer plane fence. That’s the way to go for custom fence sizes, from bench planes to large jointers. There is so much good information on this site. I’m really enjoying reading all the great blogs, reviews and projects.

View charlton's profile

charlton

#7 posted 07-01-2009 07:06 PM

Good to know. I’ll have to get one for my Veritas planes at some point.

View DavidNJ's profile

DavidNJ

#8 posted 03-04-2013 07:22 PM

I just got mine…it is really great. It lets you align the plane perpendicular to the face for a square edge. Far easier than repeatedly checking with a square. Note: the magnets are very strong, but you still need position your hands correctly to keep it against the plane and the surface of the wood; not as strong as a fence screwed in to the plane.