Precision Machinist Square at a reasonable price

Review by dschlic1 posted 05-27-2016 10:40 PM 4471 views 3 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Precision Machinist Square at a reasonable price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking for a precision square to align may machines and also my combination squares. I found the PEC tools solid square on eBay. Un like most other low cost squares, it comes with a squareness specification : 0.0006”/6”. I checked it using a dial indicator, it indeed looks to be within that accuracy.

You can find this square for sale here.

Made in the USA, High precision all for $26! The only downside (if you could call it that) is that it does not come in a case. But that is just an excuse to make a custom wood box! My unit is going to live in the house only to be pulled out when I want to check my working tools. However for $26 it is inexpensive enough to use on a daily basis.

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#1 posted 05-27-2016 11:05 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m curious: how do you check a square with a dial caliper?

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View scott0317's profile

scott0317

#2 posted 05-27-2016 11:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Bookmarked the page.

-- I've almost got all the tools I need, almost.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 05-28-2016 08:10 PM

He said dial indicator, not dial caliper, but I’m with you Jeremy, how do you do that? What do you use for a reference point?
I’d love to check all mine lying around the shop.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View cajfiddle's profile

cajfiddle

#4 posted 05-29-2016 04:45 AM

Nice! I picked up one of the “seconds” that was half the price of the one you bought, I’ll have to let you know how it looks when I get it.

#5 posted 05-29-2016 12:27 PM

Thanks for all of the comments. The method I used to check the square is a variation on the method of reversing the square against a straight edge. In this case I made sure that the blade sides were straight and parrellel. Then using a straight edge I placed the square against a pin in one direction and placed a dail indicator at the end of the blade.

I the flipped the square over and repeated the process. I had a varation of about 0.001”.

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1878 posts in 2057 days

#6 posted 05-31-2016 06:21 AM

training video, please on this method…as I have 5 or 6 squares to check!

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#7 posted 05-31-2016 03:06 PM

Small squares are easy enough to check with calipers as long as they open far enough to measure the hypotenuse. If A-squared plus B-squared equals C-squared then you have an accurate square. Just remember that the leg lengths change depending on how you use the square! I made a quick diagram showing the different ways you can measure to confirm accuracy.

This method removes any error in the straight edge used in the flip and compare method, so the only error involved is the accuracy of your calipers.

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

#8 posted 05-31-2016 05:05 PM

Jarrett I will try your method and see how it works.

Sorry no time right now to make a video. In any case the method is only useful for checking, not adjusting.

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1878 posts in 2057 days

#9 posted 06-01-2016 05:35 PM

found this on google search. might be easier, maybe :) will have to try this with quarters (or nickels… since quarters have rough edges) and calipers.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter