Best scroll saw I have owned

Review by Jamie posted 06-28-2009 06:08 AM 8729 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best scroll saw I have owned No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have worn out a delta and a Dewalt scroll saw in the past ten years and recently aquired this saw. It is the same parallel link design as the dewalt, the only real difference being more of the parts on the dewalt are stamped where on the excalibur they are machined. The table is aluminum and will not rust. This saw runs smooth. I highly recomend this to anyone unless they have a problem with purple tools.

-- "Preach the gospel always. If necessary use words" -St Francis of Assisi

13034 posts in 1999 days

#1 posted 06-28-2009 06:22 AM

i had the 30” for a number of years ,
but my ex got it .
im still looking to get myself one again !
it reallyis a great tool !

#2 posted 06-28-2009 07:18 AM

sounds good thankd for the review

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2122 days

#3 posted 06-28-2009 09:56 AM

Good idea with the angled mounting stand. Must really improve the view and muscle fatigue. Any ball park on cost? Looks like a class act tool. BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2019 days

#4 posted 06-28-2009 01:20 PM

Looks like a more solid unit Jamie…..good review.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#5 posted 06-28-2009 04:53 PM

I have the DeWalt and not the budget for an Excalibur, but I’m sure the Seyco saw is top flight. Thank you for the review.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Jamie's profile

Jamie

172 posts in 1918 days

#6 posted 06-30-2009 01:02 AM

I bought this one for $80. Woodcraft has the 21” for $749.

-- "Preach the gospel always. If necessary use words" -St Francis of Assisi

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#7 posted 06-30-2009 01:09 AM

Wow. What a bargain. Looks like a nice machine.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

#8 posted 06-30-2009 01:20 AM

Jamie, thanks for the review. I have a scroll saw on my wish list and have not focused in on any one tool, yet. This review gives me some good info on which to base a buying decision.

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 2012 days

#9 posted 07-01-2009 03:31 PM

the excalubur saws arm moves instead of the table so you depth of cut doesnt get messed up as much

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View garriv777's profile

garriv777

#10 posted 07-24-2010 03:27 AM

Just a little update as I type this on 7/23/2010. If you go to the Seyco website now you’ll notice that the saw is green now instead of purple. From what I understand, ” General ” has purchased the saw and now paints it their version of green that they use on all their other tools also. Also, there is a 30” version as well as a 20”. If you buy ” Scrollsaw woodworking & crafts ” magazine ( fall 2010 issue ) they do a nice comparison of many different scrollsaws and they have given the Excalibur high marks. I’m planning on purchasing this machine myself soon, it appears to be quite an impressive little scrollsaw from everything that I’ve read.

View Raker's profile

Raker

#11 posted 03-09-2011 12:31 AM

Guys if you are going to drop the kind of money to buy an excalibur do your self a favor and take a LONG look at the Hegner-it’s really a good saw. I’ve a hegner for several years and put many many hours on it and so far have no problems.

-- Raker from Des Moines