Dewalt Radial Arm Saw

Review by Doug posted 06-27-2009 10:13 PM 14754 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt Radial Arm Saw Dewalt Radial Arm Saw Dewalt Radial Arm Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this saw from a local news paper ad, I have had a number of craftsman radial arm saws, didn’t really care for them to much, kinda cheap made !, But now mine were newer saws and i know the old ones were real nice. This one was built in 1960-1962. It wasn’t in the best shape in the world so i dissmantled it and restored it, motor bearings,wires,switches,ETC. Avery nice saw, very acurate !

-- Use your imagination ! you'll be suprised

View Doug's profile

Doug

43 posts in 2053 days

View oldwoodman's profile

oldwoodman

#1 posted 06-27-2009 10:44 PM

Doug,

That is a gorgeous saw!! Congratulations on a job well done.

I had a Craftsman radial arm saw once, and I was satisfied with it. However, I was not building anything that demanded accurate cuts. I sold it at a garage sale a few years ago. Lately, I have been thinking about getting another radial arm saw and have been looking at older models. I have even seen a few older DeWalt models on Craigslist in my area.

Were parts hard to get for your DeWalt?

View Doug's profile

Doug

43 posts in 2053 days

#2 posted 06-28-2009 01:17 AM

Hi OldWoodMan, actualy the bearings and all other parts were localy bought,

Thanks For Asking

-- Use your imagination ! you'll be suprised

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2209 days

#3 posted 06-28-2009 09:53 AM

Great work, it’s always great to save an old tool and bring it back to new. Looks fantastic, if it cuts as good as it looks, you’ve got a gem. Have fun, BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

#4 posted 06-28-2009 01:23 PM

Good job on the refurb Doug…...should last a long time and give you good service.

View Steuss's profile

Steuss

#5 posted 06-29-2009 06:29 PM

Doug—They are fantastic saws! I’ve had a 10” 7770 DeWalt radial-saw since it was new—I don’t know when, probably 1980 or before. I put 220 to it and it’s a tie with my Delta 10” Contractor’s saw as to which I like the best. I designed the Eze-Angleguide to use with that saw and sold over 13,000 copies nationwide. And I made every one of those jigs myself (with a little help) using that saw. You have a beautiful saw—and it’ll last forever. Dick

-- Dick, Novato

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#6 posted 10-16-2010 08:45 PM

Thats a nice saw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#7 posted 10-02-2012 04:52 AM

Doug you did a nice job refurbishing that RAS. I remember back in 1967, my dad bought a Dewalt/Black & Decker RAs. It was his pride and joy. As a young boy I would hwork with him in the work job. Now that he has passed on, I have most of his tools in my workshop now. And beleive me, that RAS is MY pride and joy! I so much enjoy using it.

View splinterglue's profile

splinterglue

#8 posted 04-10-2013 09:55 PM

When I built My house with my dad the identical saw was stolen during construction.
He bought in 1960 to restore an old 1850 farm house and refurbish old homes. Then it was solen 1988, just the motor they left the arm.

I wanted to replace it is yous for sale or do you know of one in good shape that is..

Thank You. splinter glue

#9 posted 04-11-2013 02:27 AM

Splinter glue – I hope this helps. Try Delphi forums for all things RAS

View PeaceNPlenty's profile

PeaceNPlenty

#10 posted 11-18-2014 10:34 PM

I have just come into ownership of this saw and never had one before. I am trying to change the blade on it and managed to get the first nut on the outside off the motor axis but I cannot budge the second one to actually release the blade.

Any suggestions?

Ive been looking for a blade lock or something but no avail. Ive just been locking the blade by chocking it with a small piece of wood.

#11 posted 11-19-2014 12:51 AM

I only have one nut to remove. It’s reverse thread. On mine I have to insert an Allen wrench into the shaft while using a 1 inch wrench to break off the nut.

View gawthrrw's profile

gawthrrw

#12 posted 11-19-2014 10:08 PM

Great saw! I have the same one( just not as pretty) and they are solid machines. I’m guessing you have already bought Mr. Sawdusts book? If not, I highly recommend it.

-- Rob, Dallas TX