An oldie but a goodie

Review by CutNRun posted 1858 days ago 5494 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An oldie but a goodie An oldie but a goodie No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have always liked radial arm saws. My first power tool purchase was a Craftsman radial arm saw. I only had the one saw and I could do most operations with it – ripping, cross-cutting, mitering; all achievable. The Craftsman (long gone) couldn’t hold a candle to the accuracy of this saw. The arm is cast iron that was aged prior to having the ways machined. The motor was a special built unit that has a flat bottom for extra clearance over the cutting surface. I purchased this saw off of Craig’s List for $25.00. I have since put ~$200.00 into the table, cabinet and mobile base, but have a saw that is very accurate, if a bit underpowered.

It will cross-cut 14” wide stock. With a dead flat table, I was able to use a dial indicator and adjust the table parallel to the arm to within +/- 0.002”, front to back and side to side. This dimension is repeatable after the arm is moved and returned to the previous position. The same can be said for the squareness of the blade to the table (+/- <0> tool. Any power tool can be dangerous when not used properly. I see this old DeWalt as a welcome addition to my shop.

CutNRun

An oldie but a goodie…....so true ! Congratulations on your purchase ….nice looking saw : )

CutNRun

Forgot to mention – I found another MBC and an MBF (same saw with 3/4 HP motor) for $20 each, again on CL. I will pick them up tomorrow. Not sure where I’ll put them, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

Oh you dog. I sure would like to have one of those puppies. My 1978 C’man has served well, and is still in use for crosscutting now that I have a TS. Well done. Are ya sure that ya don’t want me to keep it a while? You Know, wax, polish, drool….....
Bill

-- bill@magraphics.us

View pommy's profile

pommy

I’m with you as far as oldies are better i love older tools what ever they maybe its simple logic THEY SIMPLY DO NOT MAKE THEM HOW THEY USED TO ….............

Andy

-- cut it saw it scrap it SKPE: ANDREW.CARTER69

View hafwit's profile

hafwit

Hey, I have a slightly (just barely) newer version of that same saw. It’s no where near the condition of yours, but it works great. Nice find!

Heavy, isn’t it?

-- Pete

View JustinMcCurdy's profile

JustinMcCurdy

Nice work. I just finished a GWI 58’ and am working on an MBC 58’ to match. There is a lot more work invloved than meets the eye. I am hoping to avoid having to paint it though.

112000 posts in 2179 days

cool saw

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1963 days

The plastic fantastic range of tools today afre nowhere near this kind of quality…..good one CutNrun.

View Occie gilliam's profile

Occie gilliam

How true, i bough a used craftsman that was made in the eightys and ite not so good
thanks for the head”s up

-- OC down in Costa Rica. come down and see me some time. I'll keep the light on for you too-oc@hotmail.com mail.com

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

I believe the RAS is the most underrated power tool in the shop. As you said, you can do most all operations on it that you can do on a table saw. When I first started woodworking 25 years ago that was my first purchase. Yeah, ripping on it can be a bit hairy but I just like it’s versatility. I find cutting dadoes on it easier and safer. the tool you got is awesome. You found a good one!

View Derby's profile

Derby

Looks great!

I have an MBF Rel. 206 saw in the corner of my shop that I’ve had for several years without using. Everything I’ve seen on the net says it’s a 9” saw but I haven’t been able to find anything bigger than 8-1/4” in my area.

Any suggestions about sources for blades and replacement knobs? Is/did your MBF come with the metal base cabinet as well?

-- "Lumber is just sawdust in 'solid' form!"

View gdickey76's profile

gdickey76

Great saw. I have an old 12” DeWalt GP. These are great machines. I built my new shop with it. Wouldnt mind having another one just for cutting angles. Old machines are the best in my book. I wouldnt trade my old ones for the best new one out there now. They are well built.

CutNRun

Derby – Forrest Sawblades offers 8” and 9” models. They actually have an 8” blade specifically designed for radial arm saws. You can also locate some Freud 8” blades on Amazon. For the low powered MBC’s and MBF’s, people often recommend thin kerf 8” blades. You can find a lot of information on the DeWalt saws at

You can also learn a lot at: http://www.owwm.org/

As for parts, you can try Original Saw Company, or Wolf Machinery on-line.
My MBC didn’t come with any cabinet, nor did the second MBC or the MBF that I picked up over the weekend. I may part out the MBC, or just keep it for spare parts myself. I expect to refurbish the MBF.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

Great looking saw. The proof is in the performance. And it sounds like you have it tuned in.

View Steuss's profile

Steuss

I’ve had a 7770 DeWalt 10” radial-saw since before 1980 when I bought it new. It’s a wonderful saw and the older ones (such as yours) are actually better saws than mine. Between this saw and my Delta 10” Contractor Saw, there is nothing I can’t do in my shop. I actually designed the Eze-Angleguide for use with this saw to cut angles without swinging the arm and sold 13,000 copies of it nationwide. And I made every one of them myself on this saw. You’ll really enjoy this saw and never will you need another—they last forever.

-- Dick, Novato