An Excellent Small Shop Unit

Review by Wondermutt posted 05-19-2016 10:12 PM 7230 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Excellent Small Shop Unit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a non product spec hands on review.

In a few words, dump your harbor freight 2up unit and get this unit. Here’s why:

IT WORKS. Bether than I expected it to.

I needed a portable DC. I have a stationary 2hp unit and it works great. What I don’t like is the continual failure of the dust collection bin level alarm and it’s real tall, so making it portable may prove difficult. I tried to make my old hf 2hp unit with a super dust deputy portable, but again, not the best solution. So back to the shop vac and dust deputy combo for the small tools.

With the grizzly unit on sale for $675, it was expensive but I figured this would be a viable unit. I was a little aprehensive about the level of noise reported but since it was going to be used with old portable tools, the concern was mitigated. Since I have 6” piping with 4 ” drops to the stationary tools, I also figured this could be a good backup unit in the event the main unit fails.

Assembly was straight forward and I only found one error in the instructions and that was in the first paragraph about the wrench size. It stated a 3/8” wrench where you will need a 9/16”. Other than that, a neadanthral could put this together. If you can’t, sorry, you might want to grab a beer and have your wife put it together for you.

Now here is the gotcha: THE UNIT DOES NOT COME WITH A END OF THE POWER CORD!!!!!! I stress this because by default, they come configured 110vac. To convert to 240vac, it takes a 80 dollar power switch. No thanks. Again, either configuration has no end to plug into the wall even though the manual states to plug in the molded power plug into the wall. That really pissed me off because I had to drive 45 miles to town and get a 10 dollar plug end.

In the end, this DC can be a small shops primary unit. It works 10x better than my hf combo and almost as well as my $1800 primary unit.

This DC is going to live in the back 40 area of my shop and get moved around as needed. If I continue to have issues with my primary unit, I may buy a hepa filter and use it as my primary setup.

Last thing. The noise it creates. I guess I got a good unit. Mine does not make much more noise than the Oneida unit does. I know that the size of my shop plays into this and the 16’ walls play I to this as well. To me, it’s just as quiet as the hf unit if that matters.

I am no way associated with grizzly nor do I like wasting money. For the price this unit is, you might want to reconsider a hf cyclone unit with a good filter because you will be far better off spending 100 to 200 dollars more for this unit.

Hope this helps.

WM

View Wondermutt's profile

Wondermutt

#1 posted 05-19-2016 10:41 PM

Not sure if my review
helped to prompt your review

but seems like some of our advise is the same and that is if you do not already have a dust collector buy the best system you can and avoid the cobbling together

had the Grizzly G0703P be around at the time when I bought my HF collector and Filter I would have not made my first purchase knowing the growing needs of the tools in my shop

With that said it is interesting to find out that you were not happy with the super dust deputy you purchased to use with the Harbor Freight system

Had you upgraded your HF to a pleated filter or were you still using the bags ?

I do wonder what size the grizzly impeller is compared to the HF considering the HP rating of both are basically the same with the HF saying 2 hp to Grizzly’s 1.5

I also wonder how my setup compares to your factory built set up and to your previous hf setup with with your super dust deputy

anyway in my case I already had the collector and filter buying just the cyclone from this unit so far is working for my needs but for anyone else this whole package or a couple other cyclone systems on the market now would be a much better solution for someone starting from scratch

If you could answer one question how long is the tube inside the cyclone ?
what diameter is it ?
and I am sure you cannot get to impeller size with it assembled

thanks

View Wondermutt's profile

Wondermutt

#2 posted 05-19-2016 11:11 PM

The hf was the first DC I had. I have a Wynne hepa filter on it.

It’s not that I am unhappy with the hf unit but after using the grizzly, there is no way I would waste my time with another hf/cyclone/pleated filter deal. I will say that the super dust deputy cyclone works better than a thein baffle setup I had on the hf originally. The reason I stopped using the hf unit was it did not remove the chips and dust from the tools like I had hoped for. The onidea with the same size motor as the hf unit, work night and day better, so I don’t put much merit in the hp ratings and if a 2 hp is better than a 1 1/2 hp unit.

I am not sure about the size and deminsions of the cyclone tubes.

#3 posted 05-20-2016 04:48 AM

I am not sure about the size and deminsions of the cyclone tubes.
- Wondermutt

Well since I only bought the cyclone I had to guess the length of the inner tube and since the HF had a 5” inlet I used 5” pipe on the inside of the cyclone

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#4 posted 05-20-2016 10:50 AM

Great unit. I’ve had it for almost 3 years and I find it works better than the HF or cyclones. I did replace the bags with big box heavy duty plastic ones – they are cheaper and work just as well. I think it is quieter than the HF.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#5 posted 05-20-2016 06:48 PM

Talk about jinxing myself! I went down today to do some work in the shop and the remote died!!! I tried re-calibrating it per the instructions and no dice. You never realize how much you love the remote until it’s gone.

Never mind… I just changed the batteries and it came back to life!!!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Roger's profile

20927 posts in 2797 days

#6 posted 05-24-2016 12:42 PM

Thnx for your review.

View Breeze73's profile

Breeze73

#7 posted 07-18-2016 08:37 PM

I have had the same unit for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it. It is my first and only dust collector and I only use it on 110V right now, but it is exactly what I needed. Plus, when I’m ready to plumb in some 6” rigid ducting, I can upgrade the unit to 220V and use it’s full potential.

I definitely recommend these dust collectors. They are half the price of their competition and do the job just the same.

Breeze

-- Breeze

#8 posted 10-19-2016 07:07 PM

Is the short flex hose to the dust bin a 7” diameter?
I’m wondering if that rolling bin would fit my Tempest cyclone.
Thanks

View Crashcup's profile

Crashcup

#9 posted 03-15-2017 02:35 PM

Does anyone know why this thing requires a $99 kit to convert to 220V operation? My current DC and my TS both run on 220V and I just had to switch some wire connections around in the motor’s junction box.

#10 posted 03-16-2017 05:11 AM

Does anyone know why this thing requires a $99 kit to convert to 220V operation? My current DC and my TS both run on 220V and I just had to switch some wire connections around in the motor s junction box.

- Crashcup

well since I only own the cyclone part and not the whole unit all I can help you with is by reading the manual but it seem by reading the manual that there is a different circuit board for 110 then 220 operation so the remote and other functions work although the motor itself could probably be wired directly for 220 loosing all the other option

Honestly really bad design not to make the same board compatible for both voltages but they at the low cost option so I guess this is the trade off