Great Value Pack at a decent price point

Review by EdsCustomWoodCrafts posted 05-15-2016 12:18 AM 2846 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Value Pack at a decent price point Great Value Pack at a decent price point No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I just purchased this Impact Driver from the Home Depot and it included a charger and 2 Lithium battery’s. I really like this drill and in the short time ive had this drill i have put it through it paces, I basically built 2 garden gates with a ton of screws on a single charge on 1 battery.

Pros.. One of the main reasons I bought this was because it has some great features in cluding a light on the handle that you can decide whether to turn on or off..

The Lithium battery is light weight and outstanding performer on long and tough projects

For $99 i got 2 battery’s and a charger unit not bad considering other proce points for this type of drill.

Charge time is very quick 60/70 minut full charge I also like that each battery has a battery power level indicator that lets you know how much battery is left.

And Finally the tool qualifies for the Ridgid LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement) which includes battery replacement free of charge for normal ware and tear.

Cons: The only thing im not mad on is the handle it really attracts alot of dust and can get pretty dirty when using it for long periods of time..

-- Thanks Ed “A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown”

View EdsCustomWoodCrafts's profile

EdsCustomWoodCrafts

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#1 posted 05-15-2016 12:58 AM

Thanks for the review. I had been looking at a new driver and had my eye on the dewalt 20V, but the price is nice for this ridgid, and I have other ridgid tools really like. Do you have any experience that would highlight the difference between an 18V and 20V? My 18V drill does just fine, but would 20V give me a bunch more power or what would be the main advantage?

View EdsCustomWoodCrafts's profile

EdsCustomWoodCrafts

#2 posted 05-15-2016 01:07 AM

- kocgolf

I have upgrade one of a different brand 18v to a 20v and although it gave me more power it weighed a lot more and to be honest 2v increase is not worth the price point ..

Unless you use the drill for a lot of lag screws

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

#3 posted 05-15-2016 11:30 AM

I love my rigid cordless drill. Just don’t forget to send your warranty card in or they won’t honour it when you need a repair.

-- @craftcollectif , http://www.craftcollective.ca, https://www.etsy.com/shop/craftcollective?

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#4 posted 05-16-2016 06:41 AM

I have the same drill and love it as well since most everything I use it for is smaller so I like the lighter tool. Now if I could only keep it away from my wife…when I can’t find it I look in her greenhouse. Birthday next month so guess what….

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#5 posted 05-16-2016 12:54 PM

Looks like a prefect drill for me. Now to go out to the garage and see how many accidental drops it takes to kill the old Black and Decker…

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 05-16-2016 01:24 PM

With two batteries, that’s a very good deal for an “impact driver” (incorrectly described as a drill, but I’m sure we all get it).

The prices have really come down on these, and for the regular series models with 18 v DC motors with brushes, I think DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, Rigid, & Porter Cable are all at about parity, as they are all very similar in construction and motor and have the exact same LI battery cell config. inside their battery packs (DeWalt uses the term 20v max to distinguish the new line from their existing 18 v line, with they still sell, but it’s the same 18 v cell config. as the other brands).

Both DeWalt and Makita offer a brushless DC motor version of the drills and drivers (at a significantly higher price) which really can’t be compared to the others, however, as they get more power and significantly longer run time than the brushed DC options.

Makita runs a little ahead of the pack, as their charger station has an internal fan that cools the battery pack as it charges (heat generation is a big deal in LI batteries) and so it can achieve a 20 min charge time.

But I’ve never seen anyone who could drain one of these that fast, so it’s kind of a mute point in my book.

The LI batteries have really revolutionized this maket, as the tools are more compact, lightweight and powerful. But the thing I like best is that they barely discharge on the shelf, so you can pick one up after months without use and it’s still 90% charged.

-- It’s the knowledge in your head, skill in your hands and motivation to create in you heart that makes you a woodworker. - Mainiac Matt

View philba's profile

philba

#7 posted 05-16-2016 04:45 PM

I was in the market for an impact driver and looked closely at this one. The price is really great compared to the competition. The reason I didn’t go with this was the lighting. I went for the DeWalt brushless tool only (since I have dewalt batteries) which has three lights on the driver. One light casts a shadow that gets in the way. I really like the way the dw illuminates those dark corners – especially when installing drawer slides. It also is very light ‘cause I get a lot of drives from a small battery (brushless means smaller battery packs last longer).

If you’re driving a small number of screws and such, 18 vs 20 is nothing.

But that said, the Ridgid looks like a great deal.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#8 posted 05-16-2016 05:30 PM

the 20 v max is a pure marketing thing…

they all have the exact same configuration of the exact same battery cells in the battery packs.

If you measure the voltage on the battery pack b4 plugged into the tool, it will read 20 v. Once the pack is plugged into the tool and the trigger is pulled, the DeWalt measures 18 v, just like all the others (hence the MAX, designation).

DeWalt didn’t want to have two 18 v product lines confusing people. So they coined the 20 v max moniker, and have some folks fooled into thinking there’s 10% more majic mojo inside. None of the other manufacturers still make their larger 18 v NiCad or NMH models.

View HickoryHill's profile

HickoryHill

#9 posted 05-17-2016 04:07 PM

Wait until around christmas time. They’ll do battery sales. I picked up 2 – 4ah batteries for the price of one.

-- Jim, Michigan

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#10 posted 05-18-2016 09:56 PM

I just received mine in the mail last week.
For $99 its hard to beat.
This is my first impact driver so there is a little learning curve but I REALLY like it.
I put it work last weekend building this:

It drove 3” lag bolts into the wall studs like it was nothing.
I agree with the OP that for some reason the handle really attracts dust.
I had trouble registering it on line for the Lifetime warranty so I had to send it in snail mail. I had the same problem when I bought my sanding center.

-- There' are two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither one works.

View wunderaa's profile

wunderaa

#11 posted 05-22-2016 04:49 AM

Great deal. My local HD had these in close out for $89. I jumped at it more because I needed a couple of batteries. Again, great price and a good 1/4” driver.