Review by a1Jim posted 1760 days ago 2875 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodworking Publication Greene & Greene design elements for the workshop by Darrell Peart No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Having seen Many of Darrell Pearts fine Greene and Greene inspired most wonderful fine furniture pieces posted on LJ s I thought I would look at his profile and found his great web site were he had his book available so I decided to order one. When I Ordered this book my expectations were low because I’ve purchased artisans books from web site before and received anything from computer printed pages stapled together to what looks like a pamphlet with minimal information. After receiving Darrells promptly mailed book yesterday I do what I normally do open the package and do a quick thumb through just to get a feel for the book. As I started paging through his book I found a great history of the furniture style and it’s makers, many wonderful color photos showing elements of Greene & Greene elements ,techniques,Jigs, finished furniture, and more.
Also there are detailed drawings of furniture and jigs. The book includes Darrell’s fantastic furniture and other artisans plus museums,sources for materials , organisations and groups. But wait there’s more… What is it ? you will have to get your own copy to find out. This book is a must have, high on my list of woodworking info and furniture making books of the 600 woodworking books I have it’s in the top 3 for sure and I’ve only read half way through. I’m trying to find a way to add more than 5 stars as a rating. Darrell can not only teach most of us how to make some of the most outstanding G & G furniture on the planet but could show all of the publishers how to make and unbelievable great book also. Darrell thanks for sharing your talent and know with this marvelous book.

Darrells profile page

Darrells web site

I’m sorry the photo of the book distorted when editing the photo size.

View SteveL's profile

SteveL

I’ve had this book for a while now, and keep referring to it. I’m gradually adding some of these elements to my own work, starting with the ebony plugs. I found the book very helpful and it offers very practical solutions. Even if you never build a Greene and Greene reproduction, the ideas in this book will inspire new elements in your own designs. I second Jim’s recommendations!

-- SteveL

View patron's profile

patron

gee jim :

if hes only 3rd. out of 600 , i don’t know …....... thanks for the info. ,
and thanks for your enlifting words and help ,
on my shop site !

i’m almost done on my new tool setup ,
keep your eyes peeled !

Hey David
It’s number 3 so far…. If I peel my eyes I won’t see anything. LOL Look forward to your new tool set up post.
Jim

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

Jim, Thanks for the info. I’ll have to check it out.

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

The only thing missing is a link to make it easy for us lazy people.

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

109287 posts in 2078 days

There you go any lazy people LOL

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

I agree that this is an excellent book. I bought it a while back and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Still reading it and always getting some helpful ideas and inspiration.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View Loucarb's profile

Loucarb

2388 posts in 1946 days

Thanks for the info Jim. I’ve admired the projects in that style that I have seen here. I’ll have to check the book out.

I’ve had the book for a couple of years. Darrell had been a member on LJ’s but had never posted anything so I sent him a message and said he should post some projects.

And he did a great big supply. Most of the items that he posted are in the book. Some people have asked for plans. He doesn’t have plans in the book but he does have measurements of the size that would help all you artisans to attempt to make your own version.

View jimp's profile

jimp

Good review, Jim. I have the book, as well, and I think it is a great book with a lot of information.

Jim – So I have to ask. If this book is in your top 3, what are the other two?

-- - Jim, Carroll, OH

Hey Jim
I guess I was figuratively speaking to indicate how impressed with Darrells book I was. I might have 20 first place and the same for second place. But the ones that stand out in my thought are Tage Frid Teaches wood working 1-3 and “Joinery” by Gary Rogowski I’m sure If I go to me book shelf and look I’ll find a half dozen more 1st and 2nds. I know that kinda sounds like a politicians answer to a question but what you gonna do.

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

thanks for the links jim :)

it was a great review..so I wanted to be able to get the book!!!!!

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

10874 posts in 2059 days

Gee Thanks Jim. I never had much interest in Greene and Greene but I guess I will now. You got my curiousity up…............LOL

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View jimp's profile

jimp

Thanks for the answer, Jim. I always like to see what other woodworkers have on their bookshelves. I have to agree with you about those two books.

-- - Jim, Carroll, OH

View stefang's profile

stefang

Thanks for the review Jim. There is no doubt in my mind about Darrelll Peart’s abilities. His stuff is just unbelievable. I’m going to be buying his book too.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.