Wicked Awesome Saw!

Review by vulgarviking posted 05-10-2016 11:42 PM 5719 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wicked Awesome Saw! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ok. I apologize for the Bostonian title. It won’t happen again. Lol!

So after about 6 months of research, looking at saws by going to tool dealers, Craigslist post, consignment shops and so on… I settled on the 36-725. My wife figured out the saw I wanted and got me the 36-5000! She figured it was better and I wasn’t about to argue.

So on to the review: There’s not much more that I can say that hasn’t already been said about the 36-725. Differences are that the rails are one piece and the motor is 15 amps. I’ve been a prototype machinist for 20 years, and I’m very picky about my machines, especially their tolerances. Once assembled I checked the alignment to the blade and t-slot with a dial indicator and it was only out .003 of an inch. (Thickness of a human hair.) And the fence to the same slot was out .007 tapering away from the blade, which I’m very happy with. That much taper is better than none. (I wouldn’t want anything more than .015) Because, I don’t want my part binding on the blade. The stock miter gauge is really good. I kinda feel bad that I had already had the Incra gauge before I got the saw.

On to the Cons: The riving knife is a pain in the ass to remove and install. Maybe it’s just something that I’m doing wrong? But I find it to be very clumsy. The saw rolls nice, but because of the 2 fixed and one swivel wheels, it’s hard to fit it in a tight spot against the wall. Changing the blade is a puzzle too because of the blade shroud.

Conclusion:
This saw is great! Even despite it’s little nuances, which every saw has. And even though it’s over $900, there’s not really a better saw in that range. Yes, a Grizzly is just under 700, but after shipping, and casters you’ll end up spending the same for a saw with a fence and miter gauge that’s not as good as the Delta.

And one last thing. Get a good blade for it. The stock one is garbage. And the instructions say to install the swivel wheel on the right. DON’T! Put it on the left. It’ll be far easier to get to.

View EricLew's profile

EricLew

#1 posted 05-11-2016 06:14 AM

Congrats. I am a 36-725 owner for about a year and a half and love it, so I’m sure you will love the 5000, and you have that nice Bosch router wing as well. I recently got the Incra 1000 HD but agree the factory miter gauge is one of the better ones out there, nice and heavy and no slop. I just built a long entertainment console that required a lot of miters and since many required a long sacrificial fence on the miter gauge I found myself using the factory one more than I thought I would because its so easy to screw a board in from the back, and it works so well. Enjoy your new saw!
Eric

-- I love the smell of coffee in the morning, and sawdust in the afternoon

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#2 posted 05-11-2016 02:11 PM

I did the same thing with my Bosch router table on my Delta 36-725.
I also removed the dust shroud around the blade, enclosed the bottom and added a 4” duct fitting. Works great.

View dday's profile

dday

#3 posted 05-13-2016 01:39 PM

Congrats!! I too have the “little” brother of your saw and I’ve spent a LOT more time out in the shop now that I have a saw that I don’t have to spend half of mine time making sure is square. These saws are the best bang for the buck out there. Side note: you’re right about the wheels. It reminds of learning to drive a fork lift with rear steering. It takes some planning and practice.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#4 posted 05-18-2016 02:44 PM

v-viking, I have an older Delta saw, and it is a different model than yours. However this might be useful advice so I will share it just in case it is helpful.

- The blade changing difficulties on my saw are due to the internal, under the table, dust deflector shroud.
- I can eliminate the interference from that shroud, and make blade changing a breeze, by raising the blade to its highest possible level before beginning the change.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 05-18-2016 02:57 PM

What router table from Bosch is pictured on your saw, v-viking?
And, I see akawtg also mentions the Bosch top mounted like that.

Is that the top of the Bosch bench top router table, removed from its stand and mounted to the table saw?

The Bosch unit I keep finding is the RA1181, which has a top that is 27”x18”. In the picture it looks like you might have used the top from that one on your TS.

I don’t see a table top only offered from Bosch, after reviewing their website and Amazon and a couple of tool supply sites.

Thanks, Jim

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#6 posted 05-19-2016 12:16 AM

What router table from Bosch is pictured on your saw, v-viking?
And, I see akawtg also mentions the Bosch top mounted like that.

I don t see a table top only offered from Bosch, after reviewing their website and Amazon and a couple of tool supply sites.

Thanks, Jim

- jimintx

Hi Jim. This is a modified Bosch RA1181. I wrote a review on it about a month ago. In short, I’m not impressed with it. As far as the blade change, I do raise it all the way and it’s still a pain in the ass. But nothing compared to the riving knife. LOL! I still can’t pull that out without dragging my saw across my shop.
-Jason

View 44Dan44's profile

44Dan44

#7 posted 05-19-2016 11:35 PM

Thanks for the review, I’m narrowing in on the 36-5100. Same saw with cast iron instead of stamped steel extensions, little heavier because of it.

#8 posted 05-19-2016 11:59 PM

Thanks for the review, I m narrowing in on the 36-5100. Same saw with cast iron instead of stamped steel extensions, little heavier because of it.

- 44Dan44

If you’re going to spend $950 for a table saw, then I think that it’s worth the extra $100 for the wings. Unless, you’re not gonna use the right wing for a built in router table. In my opinion, that money would be better used towards the router table. I don’t think you’d benefit much from just having one wing. If you were to go that route. But if not, go for the 5100!

View BRef's profile

BRef

#9 posted 05-25-2016 10:01 AM

I agree, I have mine a year now and it is great. Had some problems during setup (missing items) and after a few tries Delta finally got it right and comped me a dado insert, tshirts and a few other knick knacks for my trouble.