Quickbench...its quick, its a bench, but it won't replace your workbench

Review by bbasiaga posted 05-06-2016 06:28 PM 3394 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quickbench...its quick, its a bench, but it won't replace your workbench No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought two of these Quickbench folding work tables more than a year ago. My thinking was they would be great for my 1 car garage shop. They can be folded up and set against the wall to get out of the way and give me some more room around the shop.

The main features
- the top has dog holes, and a vice, and comes with some plastic dogs.
-there is a tray in each top where you can put screws and small tools and have them out of the way of the work surface, and secure
- The tops can fold down, allowing the center orange section to be used as a sawhorse
- there is a shelf underneath the table that is great for keeping tools handy but out of the way.

Pros
- portable
- they can be connected to each other to allow a larger work surface
- dog holes and clamp are handy for holding stuff down for marking, scraping, chisel work

Cons
- bench is not heavy enough for planing. It jumps and scoots very easily under those forces. You can help this by putting weight on the shelf, but not enough.
- the connection between the two tables isn’t super secure, so they sometimes come apart as you work

Bottom line: 4 of 5 stars. They are handy, portable benches, but won’t replace the full functionality of a wooden work bench. I was hoping they would work for planing, but understanding that they are not built for that I’m not hitting their rating too hard. I’ll definitely keep them around. Though someday I may build a heavier bench that I can plane on, if I can design something with some amount of folding or modular design that can be stored out of the way without too much fuss.

-Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2563 days

#1 posted 05-06-2016 07:21 PM

Pretty much like the B&D workmate and a few other brands , they are quick to setup and easy to store and come in handy for a lot of things. But nothing that is Portable and easy to fold up is going to Equal a good solid wood bench , you might come close but never match the solid stable woodworkers bench. I have a couple of different types of these and they are great but I want a good solid wood bench when I get the space for it.

View Michael Wilson's profile

Michael Wilson

#2 posted 05-12-2016 05:19 PM

I’ve moved from a house with my nice workshop to a little apartment in a high-rise (whimper) and am looking for SOME kind of little workbench so that I could even do some hand tool work.

How does this rank with other similar offerings? I’m going to have to sacrifice rigidity for portability no matter what, I suppose.

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

#3 posted 05-13-2016 02:08 AM

I don’t really have a basis for comparison. It is a pretty nice portable bench though. Well built for what it is designed for.