Want to build Craftsman style furniture?

Review by gizmodyne posted 2407 days ago 4961 views 3 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Want to build Craftsman style furniture? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is an amazing book containing shop drawings of Stickley furniture. These are not plans, they are shop drawings.

The book is divided into chapters by room: dining, bedroom, etc.

I have built several of the projects in here including a small table and a mirror. I am in the process of building the Little Journey’s table and a large dining table as well.

There is a huge variety of projects.

In order to build a project you should be experienced in planning. I usually create my own cut list and plan of procedure.

The preface includes some tips on construction and finishing.

Highly recommended.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice looking book

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

I’ve seen that book and thought about buying it. Thanks for the recommendation!

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review of the book.

View John's profile

John

I have a couple “shop drawings” books of shaker furniture – I really like these, it gives me enough of an idea to reproduce, but leaves my imagunation free on how to do the details. Thanks for the review!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

Great review. Nice book. I’ve got it and its quite interesting.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19393 posts in 2485 days

Thanks for the tip Gizmo. I will keep them in the memory bank.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View jeremy's profile

jeremy

I got this book as a christmas gift and I really like it. It’s a must have for anyone who is interested in Stickley furniture.

-- Jeremy, Saratoga, NY

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

i understand that this is one in a series of shop drawing books. They are quite useful if you want to build to original spec. They also help develop ideas for original work.

-- making sawdust....

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Good review – now I have something else for the shop that I want to buy.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Roz's profile

Roz

Good review, I think I’ll try to find it on half.com

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View Bill's profile

Bill

Thanks for the recommendation. I will take a look at it and see.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

Just ordered it….based on your recommendation of course. ;-) I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives. I’ve seen it around and it does have pretty good reviews.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I have this book and while it is great for inspiration, beware of the measurements that Lang has listed, especially chairs. Some of them are quite small. There is a second volume to this book and I know that the morris chair measurements are on the small side, unless you’re only 5’ tall.

View Mark D.'s profile

Mark D.

Agreed, this is a great series. The pieces presented in the second volume: “More Shop Drawings For Craftsman Furniture” are also top notch. -Mark

-- Looking for free wood working plans? Visit us at www.AwlFreePlans.com

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

4969 posts in 2082 days

#15 posted 2035 days ago

I’ve got 3 of his books on this and they all are very helpful

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †