I love this blade!

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 1892 days ago 2344 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I love this blade! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In my shop i like things to match. bookmatched especially. and one of my favorite things in the world is projects from all one slab of wood. so naturally i do ALOT a resawing. so for that i need a good resaw blade. This blade really fulfills my need too! I have a 14” bandsaw with the riser block so for resawing i got for the 105” 3 tpi by 3/4” blade. these blades have hook teeth which is very aggressive but also leaves a pretty nice finish. not glue ready by any means but good enough that it can be cleaned up easily. One thing you have to remember is that this is a low tension band saw blade. there are directions on how to set it on the back of the package but it is not set to the same tension as a regular 3/4” blade as your saws tension meter will say. im not really sure what the technical benefits of this are but i find that the blade cuts a lot better even when im cutting 12” stock on my bandsaw. just remember take your time you are not going to fly though a 12” wide panel. even with the 5 hp 20” bandsaw its going to take time. but the blade just really preforms excellently and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a resaw blade.

112015 posts in 2209 days

Thanks for the review

I bought 100 ft coil of this blade and I weld my own. It’s a great blaade.

teenagewoodworker

ive been thinking about doing that too lately. since i do so much resawing. where did you get the 100 ft coil?

I haven’t had much luck with the Timberwolf brand despite adjusting them to the letter . I even back off the tension when not using the machine. The first one broke while resawing some 6” Pine and the second one let go at the weld while ripping some Walnut…Before they broke though , I was very pleased with their cutting action and haven’t totally ruled them out yet . I’ve got an Olson 1/2” 4tpi skip / raker blade on my BS right now and it cuts like butter even thru Wenge and other exotics and so far , so good ….it was also considerably less expensive than the TW blade : )

View WhittleMeThis's profile

WhittleMeThis

125 posts in 2005 days

My blade maker of choice as well, thanks for the review.

teenagewoodworker

hmm… ive never had any problems like that with the timberwolf blades. ive resawed up to 12” on it many times. and im reasawing some 10” sapele later this week. its always worked well for me

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

911 posts in 2016 days

Has anyone tried both this blade, and the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware? I’ve seen a lot of great feedback about both, but haven’t seen a direct comparison. I have the Woodslicer resaw blade and couldn’t imagine being any happier so I’ll probably stick with it for life if I don’t have a reason to change, but I’m just concerned that I may be missing out on an even better blade. I believe “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but I’m still curious. Thanks for any feedback.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

teenagewoodworker

havent tried the woodslicer or the woodcraft. but ive heard good things about both of them and plan to try both of them. maybe i could compare them someday but id have to wait until all three blades wore out and that would take awhile. theres got to be someone out there whose tried all three.

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 2019 days

i have the same blade. I haven’t put it on, because I haven’t put on a riser block. I hope I have the same great results

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

teenagewoodworker

you should. ive been using it a ton and its just absolutely great. it will work at full tension to but ive noticed its more agressive andthe saw doesnt slow down at all even on 12” pieces with the low tension settings.

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2096 days

All, Thanks for the input. I’m about to put the riser block in my 14in BS and woud like to try a good blade. Got some oak and hickory to go through. BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I would also like to hear about a comparison between the Timberwolf and Woodslicer.

I have been using the Woodslicer exclusively for about 10 years now with no problem.

The main differences are:

Timberwolf is a thicker low tension blade with a wide set to the teeth. From what I hear it stays sharper a little longer which makes sense since there is more material to get dull.

Woodslicer is a thinner normal tension blade with a thinner set to the teeth. It also varies between 3 and 4 teeth per inch which cuts down vibration giving a smoother cut. Being thinner also means that you don’t need as powerful a motor since it’s removing less material.

My concern with the Timberwolf is the low tension, cutting thick (10”+) hardwood stock and the blade flexing not giving a flat cut.

teenagewoodworker

the blade will give a good cut in larger hardwoods. its not like super low tension. usually what i find works on my saw is around the 1/2” factory setting and i havent gotten any deflection in the cut at all

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1958 days

Great review, I have been using their blades on my old Rockwell bad saw for years now. When I ordered my new Grizzly 17” Band Saw I ordered several Timberwolf blades with it, As you said….I love these blades. I have never used the Woodslicer blades…but have never heard anything bad about them. When my Timberwolfs wear out I may give one a try. Thanks for the input about the Woodslicers guys.

-- Don S.E. OK