New Powermatic 14" with Riser

Review by Dee1 posted 04-29-2016 01:43 AM 2798 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Powermatic 14" with Riser New Powermatic 14" with Riser No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I upgraded my old mid 50s Delta, it had some issues
So I ordered this Saw from CPO, the Mobile base arrived in a big box with no packing at all, both the wheel locks were broken, I thought jeez hope the saw comes in better shape. And it did saw was packed very well in three boxes also the riser was included in its own box with all its access, at no charge it was included so that was nice.
The saw was fairly easy to set up a earlier poster complained about the motor being hard to hang this one was all set up. getting both tables level was a bit dicey but not real bad . everything was there no parts missing or broke. now I just need to use it . At first blush it runs very smooth no blade flutter, and no vibration.
I am happy I can’t give five stars until it is used give me some time with it.
I emailed Powermatic and was told the new wheel locks for the mobile base will be shipped , not a big deal as I made a couple they are just 5/16 bolts with a washer welded on for turning probably outlast the plastic ones for years.
Sorry about the sideways photos

View Dee1's profile

View crowie's profile

crowie

#1 posted 04-29-2016 06:19 AM

I like the light on the machine, Dee..
How good is the blade guide especially with re-sawing, thank you?

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

2685 posts in 2041 days

#2 posted 04-29-2016 06:53 AM

I hope you will have a lot of benefit from it. To me it looks a sturdy machine.

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#3 posted 05-01-2016 01:24 PM

Dang son, that’s a beauty. Color me jealous !

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Dee1's profile

#4 posted 05-01-2016 01:58 PM

Joe in GA
not only is it beautiful its fantastic ! I love it what a difference.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#5 posted 05-06-2016 11:48 AM

I just picked up one of these yesterday to replace my “less than four year old” Porter Cable that I bought from Lowe’s, which was a $400 mistake. It was falling apart and I decided no more money into that thing.

Came down to a Grizzly G0513X2, or the Powermatic 14”.
I went with the Powermatic…

I had the option of CPO or many other resellers, but soon realized they usually don’t have stock, throw the order over to PM for shipment on some unknown carrier, and a lot of the time you have to do the tracking. Even though shipping would be free, I live in a tight in city area with lots of overhanging trees, and I would need liftgate service. Also, if the truck showed up in the rain, argh… It all pointed to buying local if I could.

With that, decided to eat the tax and buy it from my local Woodcraft. At least if it was not right, they are local and accessible, and I’ve done a lot of business with them and know a few of the guys. So that was a big factor.

They came back and said they would have a new one in a box in two days at the store, or I could take the floor model that was totally set up and run but never cut wood for 10% off, about a $120 savings. I decided to do that, which meant I got it right away, it was well set up and when I took some of it apart to get it in my SUV I was able to have it like I wanted it for reassembly. Woodcraft did include the riser, but somebody five-fingered the miter and they are ordering one for me and will call when it comes in. I did not buy the roll around base.
The savings also allowed me to raid their blade supply for three new blades to give it a good run.

I plan on putting it all back together and putting up a review, as I was going back and forth between a Grizzly G0513X2, or this model for almost two months. I have a Grizzly G0513X2BF with the electric brake which I love, but needed something to do all the small work in jewelry boxes, etc. And the Grzz takes up a lot of floor space in my small shop.

So far, taking it apart maybe further than it would have been as Dee1’s was, I saw some things I like, and some things that surprised me both good and bad.
But I think it will be a good saw for me as a second saw for smaller work.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN