a handy, pocket-sized trimming tool

Review by Gary Fixler posted 1858 days ago 4257 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
a handy, pocket-sized trimming tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Full disclosure: I am by no stretch a hand planes expert. I’m hardly even an amateur. I only have a Buck Bros. 6” block plane, and I’m not good with it. However, I got this guy a few months back on a whim, and recently cracked the packaging and gave it a whirl.

Buck Bros. 3

I found it to be very sharp and properly set up right out of the packaging. All I did was wipe off the protective oil, and I was almost immediately getting full-width, full-length curls from the already fairly straight edge of the plank.

undersize of 3

There really isn’t much to it, so in a way, it’s kind of like a beginner’s plane. You can learn quite a bit about how planes work from this <$10 utility tool, which is really better used for minor adjustments, or flushing up pegs. This knowledge can be expanded through larger, more expensive, and more complicated planes later (that’s my plan!).

Buck Bros. 3

These videos aren’t too exciting, but perhaps informative. This is me pulling it over the edge of a poplar plank. I have not tried any other wood types yet. I imagine red oak would be a bit more difficult. I would say I’m ‘jointing’ the edge here, but we all know it’s a bit too short for that, really:

And here’s pushing it over the same plank. The biggest problem is getting my own meaty hands out of the way. There isn’t too much to hold on to, but as you can see, it does work.

Here’s the link to the Home Depot product page, though it’s not sold online. The link itself is custom to my local store, but it does give some specs. It feels solid, though too small for extended use, as it starts to hurt my hands a bit by the end of those videos. Still, a great little shaver for the tiny stuff, where perhaps your #5 jack plane won’t fit, or if, like me, you don’t have a #5 jack plane.

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator

View Gary Fixler's profile

Gary Fixler

1000 posts in 1977 days

111999 posts in 2173 days

Hey Gary
Nice little plane . surprising it was Sharp right out of the box usually they need some more sharpening before using.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

I have one like that and it is great for planing miters when you are installing trim. Really a time saver.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

The Buck Bros. brand generally markets good items to a budget price point.

I love adding to the arsenal.

No reason not to have two of these: one for the shop, and one for the travel tool box.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Nice little plane where did you purchase it?

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Gary Fixler's profile

Gary Fixler

1000 posts in 1977 days

John – I picked it up at Home Depot. There’s a link to it in the last paragraph.

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator

View spanky46's profile

spanky46

977 posts in 1986 days

Buy me one too Dad! Happy Fathers Day

Nice little tool Gary!

-- spanky46 -- Never enough clamps...Never enough tools...Never enough time.

looks nice.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Looks like you are jointing that short little board with the short little plane :-)) I’ve noticed youj can get old stanleys on ebay for $20 and less for the #4 especially. That must have been the most common plane ever made.

View stefang's profile

stefang

12525 posts in 1930 days

Thanks Gary, as usual I enjoyed video and review and I am surprised something so cheap not only works, but actually works right out of the box. Cudos to Buck Bros. This could make a good gift for a kid interested in woodworking.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View laflaone's profile

laflaone

I got one at HD about 6 mos ago. They are under $10. My only complaint is that the blade is so short, it won’t properly fit in my Veritas MKII jig without juryrigging a backer to hold it. That complaint is a small one. It really does do a pretty good job given its size.

-- "non illegitimis carborundum"

View PeytonO's profile

PeytonO

Glenn Kelman, chief executive and president of Redfin, said that it will not open offices across the Island to launch its services. He said one office in either Melville or Huntington would be enough. The online brokerage would just develop and introduce better features, in addition to its foreclosed home search tools.

View Elaine's profile

Elaine

Made in USA – steel staying in USA. I think I have a couple young boys who could use this in their tool box. Thanks for the great info!

View hObOmOnk's profile

hObOmOnk

I love those little planes.

I do a lot of twig mosaic works that involves splitting twigs, then glueing and tacking them in to patterns.
I use these little planes to smooth the bottom side of the split twigs.

I use two so I can work longer without a break for sharpening.

I hold the plane upside-down in my hand and rake the split twig over the blade.
This is an old coopers trick for fine fitting wooden bucket staves.

-- 温故知新

View lou's profile

lou

340 posts in 2038 days

cool stuff.i need a couple.thanks for the review and video

View jim1953's profile