Issues resolved - Great customer service

Review by greatview posted 04-28-2016 06:33 PM 5486 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Issues resolved - Great customer service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Several months ago I posted a negative review on the Shelix replacement head for my Dewalt 735. The problem was that the replacement heads are normally slightly smaller in diameter which makes it possible to install a Shelix with all the cutters in place through the main bearing seat on the drive end. However, I found the reduced diameter to be a problem as now I had snipe and a reduced cutting range and increased roller pressure.

After a couple of phone calls and emails to Byrd Tool, the maker of Shelix, they agreed to replace my Shelix with one of a larger diameter matching the cutting diameter of the original Dewalt head. The problem becomes that it is necessary to remove most of the cutters so that the head will fit trough the bearing seat on the drive end. There’s no way that the head can be installed with all the cutters in place. So off I went to Harbor Freight for a torque wrench (less then $20) and then removed the cutters. The new head installed without a problem and while a bit time consuming, it is not difficult to reinstall the cutters and torque them to the appropriate setting.

The end result is that I’ve got a machine that gives a beautiful cut and the snipe has vanished, the cutting depth is back to the original range and it performs to my satisfaction. Byrd Tool really came through for me and makes me a really happy owner of a Dewalt with a spiral cutting head.

-- Tom, New London, NH

View greatview's profile

greatview

#1 posted 04-28-2016 08:05 PM

They made a custom cutterhead for you? Wow, that is going above and beyond.
Nothing but good things to say about the Shelix on my 735.
Glad it worked out for you.

#2 posted 04-28-2016 10:07 PM

It’s great to hear about good customer service.

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#3 posted 04-28-2016 11:20 PM

Good info to be stored for future reference, in case my wife wins the lottery and I want to upgrade my DW735. Now I’ll know to call and order the larger size.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing.

View Mas's profile

Mas

#5 posted 04-29-2016 08:50 PM

I’m surprised they don’t make the full size head standard. I don’t think removing and reinstalling the inserts would be an issue for anyone as at some point the inserts will need replaced anyhow.

Also that is great that they worked with you to resolve your issues as this review is sure to bring them more sales for replacement heads!

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#6 posted 05-03-2016 04:46 AM

wow they went above and beyond for you. I wonder if a simple spacer could be used under each of the inserts for each of us that currently have the undersized version to get back to the factory size like you have.

does yours still have the same amount of cutters

so far mine has worked fine and I did not experience the problems you did

View greatview's profile

greatview

#7 posted 05-03-2016 10:18 AM

Same number of carbide cutters. Since the head is shaped to receive the cutters and keep them in the proper position, I doubt that you could simply put a spacer under each one as it would be difficult to prevent rotation of the cutter.

-- Tom, New London, NH

View JerryinCreek's profile

JerryinCreek

215 posts in 2012 days

#8 posted 05-04-2016 02:09 AM

This is a really great post! I am strongly considering the Shelix for my DW735 and the only drawback I have read about is the introduction of snipe. Sounds like this size difference is what was causing it. Is there a different model/reference number on your replacement? Thanks for the info!

-- Jerry, Johnson Creek, WI "If it was meant to be different it would be."

View marvinlee's profile

marvinlee

#9 posted 08-14-2016 01:35 AM

What I really need is for DeWalt to come to market with a segmented cutter head on the DeWalt 735 or new replacement. When, or when, DeWalt?

-- Marvin, Kiger Island

View David 's profile

David

#10 posted 03-25-2017 07:39 PM

So I had a DW735… used it regularly for a few years… sold it to a friend who wanted to change it out to the Byrd-shellix cutters. He did…. and is very happy with it! Said it runs a bit quieter and he feels like he has a solid planer for what he has invested in it. (me… I replaced it with a Powermatic 15” planer which is UN frigging BELIEVABLE!)