A Great Drill Driver and the Useful Hackzall

Review by Redoak49 posted 04-27-2016 10:11 PM 2334 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Great Drill Driver and the Useful Hackzall No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had added this Milwaukee M12 drill to my Christmas list this year. I had tried it at the store and it was a nice size. Thankfully, my wife got it for me and it came in a kit with the drill/driver, charger, two batteries and the Hackzall.

The drill driver works well and has plenty of power and a good clutch on it. It is solidly built and feels good in my hand. It is now my go to drill/driver and is lighter than the 18V one that I have. The chuck works well and it is easy to tighten a drill bit and to release it. The battery holds a good charge and the side of the drill has some lights to indicate how much of a charge you have left. The batteries charge quickly and last a goodly time. It also has an LED light to help see what you are working on.

Now, the Hackzall….I did not expect much as it was the driver that I had wanted. It is a smaller version of the Sawzall and uses the same blade style. What a surprise as I have started using it a lot. I have used it to cut off bolts and small metal rods, cut a hole in drywall, and cut off some wood. It is a nice small size and great to get into more awkward spaces. It has a nice comfortable feel in my hands and has plenty of power.

This combo kit is still priced at about $100 and to me is a real value.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3401 posts in 2073 days

View htl's profile

htl

#1 posted 04-28-2016 11:00 AM

Nice review and like you an interested in the smaller drills and add ons.
It’s funny how times change, many years ago when Makita came out with their 9.6-Volt is was just the right size for most jobs but then as with the big trucks every thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Now 18v isn’t enough it’s got to be 20v. lol
At 65 or so I’m not wanting to handle them monsters plus just not doing the heavy duty work there their needed so them 12v tools are looking better and better.
So thanks for the review.

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

#2 posted 04-28-2016 03:22 PM

I have a lot of M12 tools and really like them. Particularly the size and weight. I’m not a contractor. I have bought a few of the larger 4 amp batteries and really like them. I’d recommend them for the Hackzall since it burns through a charge quickly.

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

678 posts in 2038 days

#3 posted 05-01-2016 12:07 AM

great review.. I agree. the m12 line is fantastic. I’m invested in both the m12 and m18 lines. IMHO, The best tool in the whole m12 arsenal is their brushless impact drill. OMG this thing is a beast. Its my go to battery operated tool. The M12 True View Spotlight is also highly recommended. At 70 bucks this thing cant be beat. It throws a nice tight beam hundreds of yards away and does it very well. I added a M12 Right Angle drill to my collection to help install drawer slides inside cabinets. This little guy gets the job done quickly inside a tight carcass. Another highly recommend tool.

Scott

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View ZXDrew's profile

ZXDrew

#4 posted 06-17-2016 06:08 PM

I’ve got the M18 hackzall and it’s awesome. I use it for alot of stuff in the shop but also to trim trees/bushes.