Freud Quadra-Cut Roundover Bit "Wow"

Review by Pete_Jud posted 06-18-2009 06:29 AM 2735 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud Quadra-Cut Roundover Bit "Wow" No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just ran 300 feet of 1.5 inch doug fir stair treads over a 3/4 inch Freud roundover bit on the router table to bullnose the work. I was very concerned about “tearout” as the old growth doug fir had a lot of tight knots in it. I had no tearout at all, and the I cut the bullnose in just 1 pass per side. The work is ready to install without any sanding. Great finnish. And almost no pitch buildup on the bit. This is the first Quadra-Cut bit that I have used, and I am impressed.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

View patron's profile

patron

13169 posts in 2087 days

#1 posted 06-18-2009 06:35 AM

thanks , this sounds like a winner !
how many bits do they make like this ?

View JimBuchanan's profile

JimBuchanan

27 posts in 2095 days

#2 posted 06-18-2009 01:43 PM

I’m glad you had a positive experience with these bits, too. They aren’t cheap, but they perform so well it’s worth it.

-- Jim

View spanky46's profile

spanky46

#3 posted 06-18-2009 06:29 PM

Good to hear!

-- spanky46 -- Never enough clamps...Never enough tools...Never enough time.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#4 posted 06-18-2009 10:31 PM

I was impressed with the 3 wing bits that are out, so I can imagine the cut you get from the 4 wing. Thanks for the review.

#5 posted 06-18-2009 11:00 PM

Pete, thanks for the review. I have not purchased a lot of bits from Freud but I have been looking at these and wondering if they performed as well as advertised. Based on your review I will have to add some of these to my collection of bits.

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2698 posts in 2033 days

#6 posted 06-19-2009 12:10 AM

I have that same bit and I love it. I would highly recommend it. Of course I used it in a Festool Router (Hand held)——I guess that’s cheating, huh? I’ve used other quadra-cut bits in my “normal” routers, and they really are good (The bit, that is!)

patron, Looks like Freud makes about thirty-one bits right now in the Quadra-cut—-12 profiles (different sizes of several of those) I’m sure they will be adding others as time goes on.

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View Rob Drown's profile

Rob Drown

#7 posted 06-20-2009 06:47 AM

I tried the roman ogee. It replaced a high speed steel bit. What a huge step up. Wow do they cut fast and smooth!!! They are a very good buy.

-- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. Confucius, 经过艰苦的努力的梦想可以成真

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#8 posted 06-20-2009 07:08 PM

I have some there great.good review

View Carl Henderson's profile

Carl Henderson

22 posts in 2009 days

#9 posted 06-21-2009 03:36 AM

I have about 30 Freud bits and have been very happy with them all. I also have about 1/2 a dozen from Lee Valley … they too have been very good. Have used these on pine, walnut, cherry, cedar and maple. I usually have to sand the end grain for most profiles..

-- Softouch

View Moron's profile

Moron

#10 posted 06-21-2009 05:48 AM

All wood that is “routed” needs sanding, regardless of the make, the feed speed, or the router

skipping sanding is just …............silly

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View EPB's profile

EPB

2 posts in 2083 days

#11 posted 06-23-2009 03:02 PM

I have several of the Quadra bits now after my first experience with their reverse ogee bit. They do cost more but do such a good job and the sharp edge holds up.

-- EPB