CBN WHEEL

Review by Ken90712 posted 04-25-2016 11:52 PM 2808 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CBN WHEEL CBN WHEEL CBN WHEEL Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m pretty new to turning, I’ve been learning and listening to all the advice from all the veterans on here. I have a wet grinder but that was not working for sharpening my chesils. All the help on here and Dave from D – Way Tools recommended the CBN. I bought the 180 grit 8 inch for my new Rikon 1 hp slow speed grinder. I bought the Wolverine jig as recommended as well.

I have to say once set up this is amazing and everything everyone said it would be. My chesils are razor sharp in 8 seconds, worth every penny Thx eveyone.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 04-26-2016 01:32 AM

Yep… You ARE having fun!

That is GOOD!

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#2 posted 04-26-2016 02:13 AM

Ken, I’ve not seen this before. Is it a diamond grinding wheel?

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View lew's profile

lew

#3 posted 04-26-2016 03:28 AM

Thanks for the review, Ken.

I have drooled over one of those wheel but they are $$. Guess I’ll continue using my old Tormek.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#4 posted 04-26-2016 10:15 AM

Your setup looks great.CBN wheels and the Wolverine jig make a fantastic combo.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Roger's profile

20929 posts in 2854 days

#5 posted 04-26-2016 11:45 AM

Thnx for your review Ken. Turn on

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#6 posted 04-26-2016 01:40 PM

Ken, I ve not seen this before. Is it a diamond grinding wheel?

- DocSavage45

Nope. CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels don’t clog as easily as diamond wheels, and for HSS, carbide, etc. are supposed to last longer than diamond wheels.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7739 posts in 2057 days

#7 posted 04-26-2016 04:02 PM

Oh great ! Now I have something ELSE to add to my wish list !

Thanks for the review !

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View stefang's profile

stefang

#8 posted 04-26-2016 04:37 PM

That looks real good Ken and should serve you well. I have a Tormek wet grinder and it really isn’t suitable for the initial grind on HSS lathe tools, so I when I change the angle or the shape of a bevel I first grind it on a regular bench grinder and then finish up on the Tormek. After that the Tormek works real well to refresh the bevels.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#9 posted 04-26-2016 05:06 PM

Looks great, wish I had one too.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#10 posted 06-02-2016 06:04 PM

These are amazing!
I just got a set of CBN wheels from Cuttermaster for my Darex drill sharpener, and love them.

In fact, you’ve inspired me, I’ll have to put up a review :)

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#11 posted 06-03-2016 02:20 PM

Congratulations and awesome cyber, we all here about the next greatest tool. It have to say this one lives up to what everyone told me. These are amazing for sharpening turning tools.