Lumberjocks makes another great recommendation!

Review by BigBard posted 06-16-2009 04:29 AM 4994 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lumberjocks makes another great recommendation! Lumberjocks makes another great recommendation! Lumberjocks makes another great recommendation! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I can’t really offer a great review because this is actually the first band saw I’ve ever used, literally. After reading the reviews on this web-site I was sold on this saw, There’s one that cost about 200 dollars more that has a brake and a shopfox type base. I also took the advice and ordered a Woodslicer blade from Highland woodworking. I can’t express enough how amazing that woodslicer blade seems. The Woodslicer made me go from “This is cool, I have a nice band saw”, to “Oh my, this is an amazing piece of machinery”. I actually turned and raised a eyebrow at the table saw and said “Wow you never made me feel this way”. I took it upon myself to attempt to run a 220 outlet, and I am still here to tell how easy it was!! Its quiet theres little to no vibration. did i mention the extra tall re-saw fence and 12 inches of re-saw capacity. Great machine!

-- Carolina Panther fan!

View BigBard's profile

BigBard

#1 posted 06-16-2009 04:52 AM

Wow thats a beaut looks like a winner.Congrats on the new saw .Thanks for the review.

#2 posted 06-16-2009 04:57 AM

I’m glad that the saw has hit your “HOT Button”. Great review.

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

#3 posted 06-16-2009 07:34 AM

Yeah, that’s probably a pretty good blade…and I haven’t used one on my Girzz…but I bought a cheaper 2 TPI 1 inch blade x 131 1/2….and it went through American Elm and hard maple like butter…I love my Grizzly bandsaw.

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

View Jim's profile

Jim

#4 posted 06-16-2009 11:25 PM

Good review. But is this one of those horizontal bandsaws?! Lol! Just kidding…. was waiting for someone to say it…

-- Jim, www.greenteawoodworking.com

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7188 posts in 2051 days

#5 posted 06-17-2009 04:33 AM

well from the looks of it…this saw is so tall he had to shoot it sideways…its a grizz..there big tools….har….nice saw though..wish i had me one myself…i need one…i bet the resaw is pretty nice…..

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View woodbutcher's profile

woodbutcher

#6 posted 06-17-2009 05:21 AM

BigBard,
Congratulations on the new bandsaw. I’m sure you’ll get many years of service out of it. I almost purchased the same saw from Grizzly last November, but opted instead for the 21”—saw with 3hp motor and blade brake. I put the wood slicer 1/2” blade on it then and am still running it. I love mine as well! The saw is really tall but the foot print isn’t any bigger really than the Ridgid 14” that it replaced. Hope yours runs just as good as mine is now.

Sincerely,
Ken McGinnis
p.s. mine is a 165 1/2” blade is yours the same size?

-- woodbutcher north carolina

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#7 posted 06-17-2009 06:16 AM

Great deal.

Those woodslicer blades are all I use. They are great blades.

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2074 days

#8 posted 06-17-2009 07:27 PM

Great review….I have just gotten the same saw, but have not done a review yet. I have allot more re-sawing to do for a project I am in the middle of…and then I will do my review. So far I am beyond happy with this saw !!!!

-- Don S.E. OK

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#9 posted 06-18-2009 03:44 AM

What is the delivered price for such a nice saw?

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View BigBard's profile

BigBard

#10 posted 06-18-2009 03:53 AM

Don the price is 995.00 shipped to my door, and they surprised with a little gift. Woodbutcher my blade is 131 and a half.

-- Carolina Panther fan!

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#11 posted 06-18-2009 03:57 AM

WOW, another woodworker got a nice tool. Love to have one like that myself but will have to settle for what I have for the time being. Nice review.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View stefang's profile

stefang

13633 posts in 2081 days

#12 posted 06-19-2009 10:03 PM

Here I go, more unhealthy envy. My 12” Delta will be very upset. Congrats on your purchase.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Drewskie's profile

Drewskie

53 posts in 2003 days

#13 posted 06-29-2009 12:51 AM

Do you guys think it is worth steping up into the 5hp model it has 16” resaw capibility, but is twice the money. I have a big sapele job coming up with lots of radiused parts I just don’t think my 3/4 hp 14” jet is going to cut the cheese. If im going to spend the money i don’t wan’t to regret not going all the way.

-- I cut it three times and its still to short? www.work-in-wood.com

View woodbutcher's profile

woodbutcher

#14 posted 06-29-2009 08:53 PM

Drewskie,
I think you answered your own question! I’m not trying to be a smart alec, but I upgraded from the 14” Ridgid, and the only thing I could have done differently would have been 5hp instead of only 3hp. I haven’t needed 5hp yet but the day may come and I hope I don’t regret it-LOL. Just one thing to keep in mind small blades such as 1/8” and 1/4” for the larger saws are hard to come by. My current saw takes 165 1/2” blades I still haven’t used a 1/4” blade on it yet, but will need to eventually and I’ve yet to locate one or special order it—i.e. made. Good luck with whatever you decide and please let us know.

Sincerely,
Ken McGinnis

-- woodbutcher north carolina

View Ryan Haasen's profile

Ryan Haasen

#15 posted 11-29-2011 02:24 AM

Will it work with a 110v outlet?

-- Ryan