New affordable sliding mater saw

Review by Milo posted 1770 days ago 2592 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 3.0
1 review total
Add my Review

New affordable sliding mater saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey True Believers,

I’ve needed a new miter saw for too long now, and had actually purchased a 10” Skil from WorkShop tools. A couple weeks back I saw on their website that they had generic SLIDING miter saw for about 140.00. It was TD 10” Sliding Miter saw. Well, I’ve been trying to figure out where to put a big Radial arm saw I had (and had never used) and ended up taking the plunge with the new sliding miter instead. Since I had never opened up the box with the Skil in it, Workshop tools took it back in trade. Very cool of them.

This is a very generic saw.

Minuses:

A bit awkward to use. NOT the most ergonomic saw I’ve ever use. Not a Hitachi knock off here.

The adjustments for the Compound aspect are a bit hard to use. Doing crown molding might be difficult with this saw.

The lock down for wood isn’t the best, but I don’t know many people that worry about this.

It blows dust everywhere.

Plus:

The price.

It has a rather accurate laser line guide for cutting that I didn’t ever know was there when I bought it.

The dust collect port on the back fits my little shopvac exactly. Something like a 1.5” port. I’ve experimenting with ways to direct the dust into the dust port.

Changing the degree of the cut is rather easy. There is now screw in lock like on a Delta miter saw.

Weight: It’s not so heavy that you couldn’t make this a table top machine.

I know this isn’t the most in depth review, but I hope it lets the hobbiest know there is an affordable sliding compound miter out there that give a little more cutting versatility for things like 2X’s and other boards.

Have a great one,

Milo

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

Milo

Well, Crude. Obviously it’s a MITER saw, not a MATER. Ugh…. ;-)

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Delta 10” SCMS on Craigslist for $150 bucks, only two years old or I might have been in the market for this. It looks like a good find. I barely move mine from 90 degrees anyway, so just about any saw would have worked.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View bamasawduster's profile

bamasawduster

314 posts in 2096 days

I got a Harbor Freight 12” sliding compound for $129. I realize their stuff is not the quality that you get elsewhere, but I have used it a lot and it works flawlessly. If it tears up in another 2-3 years, I can buy another and still be out less coins than a name brand. Just my two cents worth.

-- Gary, Huntsville. Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Milo

I’m willing to bet this is the same HF saw with different paint. I wouldn’t probably use it if I was pro, but for 2x’s, it’s going to be great, and a lot easier to move around than the RAS I’m going to probably sell.

Later!

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1191 posts in 1977 days

Sounds close to my Craftsman 10” sliding compound miter saw. It blows dust everywhere even with my vac attached to it. It does the basic jobs I needed it for. One problem I can’t seem to fix on my sliding saw… when you slide it out full width (it cuts a 12” wide 3/4) the saw has a twist in the slide… it torques 3 tenths of a degree ending with a less than square cut. I couldn’t figure out what was going on until I put a digital gauge on the the blade and watched the numbers change consistently as I slid it back and forth.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...