Great Kit to repair my ole Dewalt Random Orbital Sander Hook & Loop pad

Review by Dan'um Style posted 06-14-2009 06:10 AM 12492 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Kit to repair my ole Dewalt Random Orbital Sander Hook & Loop pad Great Kit to repair my ole Dewalt Random Orbital Sander Hook & Loop pad Great Kit to repair my ole Dewalt Random Orbital Sander Hook & Loop pad Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m on my 2nd Dewalt random orbital sander …
As anyone who uses hook and loop sanders know, if the sand paper ever comes off while working ,the Velcro pad on the sander gets messed up real quick . Sandpaper will never stick right again.

I’ve gone thru the process of replacing the factory replacement part four times. Three times on the oldest sander and one time on my newer piece, Not cheap.

...
I found Ali-Gator-grit repair kit for 11 bucks at Lowes. It comes with two Velcro replacement pads and some glue.
I bought it figuring the factory part would eventually give out … About a year later it did.
...
My experience is the Velco in the Ali-Gator-grit kit much, much stronger, have never had a sheet of sand paper come off and still holding very well after over a year of abuse. Much better then the original equipment.

Highly recommended

ordered another set today. 7/26/20104 finally used up the original kit. found this online for 5 bucks shipping

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2121 days

#1 posted 06-14-2009 06:18 AM

Thanks, know how to fix it now. Have you had the white, for lack of an exact term, resistence ring wear out. I’ve had to replace mine once or twice now but never the hook and loop. I’m sure it won’t be long though.
BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

#2 posted 06-14-2009 06:36 AM

I have never had that part fail, but when taking the sander apart , I noticed the wear. I kept the old ones.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#3 posted 06-14-2009 07:07 AM

Got a nice Bosch sander. Same issue. Does fine if under load, but pick it up and the paper is thrown. Did this after a half year. Will give this a shot before buying the $30 replacement that might or might not work 6 months later.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1983 days

#4 posted 06-14-2009 07:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up Dan…I get tired of buying those darn $30+ replacement kits every years for my sanders….I will give this a try next.

-- Don S.E. OK

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1978 days

#5 posted 06-14-2009 08:17 AM

Great information! I have torn through 3 finish sanders in the last 2 years. The most durable of the three has exactly the problem you described, the velcro surface is coming loose. Now I have an option to tossing it in the trash. Thanks Dan-If that’s who you really are (the unkknown woodworker).

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

#6 posted 06-14-2009 03:04 PM

I’ve never had to replace a pad but I did get a conversion kit to go from PSA paper to Hook and Loop. I guess your kit does that also.

Thanks Dan.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#7 posted 06-14-2009 04:55 PM

Where you really mess up a pad is if you use the outside edge more than the flat part. We have people at work who try to use the OS to sand moldings and crown molding. That really messes up a pad.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View Tony's profile

Tony

#8 posted 06-14-2009 07:46 PM

Thanks for posting Dan, I will have to try and get a couple of those – Similar subject, have you thought about using the “PAD Saver” from Mirka – they are aimed at protecting the Velcro when using Abranet sanding disks, but they also work equally as well on normal sanding disks.

By the way – do they give a web address for the product on the packaging, I cannot find them in Google. Found them – http://www.gatorgrit.com

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

#9 posted 06-14-2009 07:51 PM

Hey Dan you look eceptionally happy today.Thanks for the review.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19468 posts in 2508 days

#10 posted 06-15-2009 08:53 AM

Nothing like a Gator to get you out of a sticky situation.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View huff's profile

huff

2804 posts in 1942 days

#11 posted 06-16-2009 03:30 AM

Thanks Dan, I have a sander with the same problem right now. It’s been driving me crazy for the past week and hated to spend the 30+ dollars for a new replacement. I think I’ll run down to Lowes tomorrow. Thanks again for the info.

-- John @ http://www.thehuffordfurnituregroup.com

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

#12 posted 06-16-2009 04:56 AM

AH yeah I can use one of these. Thanx

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View bamapens's profile

bamapens

#13 posted 02-27-2010 07:11 AM

Is there a conversion kit for the Sears or Craftsman ROS with four screws holdong the pad???
I’ve looked everywhere!