Tormek 2000

Review by MrWoody posted 01-27-2008 03:24 AM 8329 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tormek 2000 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this unit for about six months and am very pleased with it.
After destroying a wood chisel on a 6” grinder years ago I had been sharpening my tools with Japanese water stones. I was getting unsatisfactory results on my carving and lathe gouges, so decided to find a better (read easier) way. Pros:
Easy to set up
Easy to repeat angles
Fast with excellant results
No burned tools

Cons:
Price
A bit messy (no more so than water stones)

Videos can be viewed at Sharp Tools USA http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/demo.php
and the Tormek sites http://www.tormek.com/

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 01-27-2008 04:04 AM

I would also have to recommend this. I have have mine for about 3 years.

Works on my jointer blades, and anything else I have thrown at it.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#2 posted 01-27-2008 04:08 AM

my experience is that the Jet model is identical. in function and quality and all Tormek accessories work on it. I would buy the Jet unit over this one.

-- making sawdust....

View 9fingers's profile

9fingers

#3 posted 01-27-2008 03:41 PM

I love the Tormek jigs once you figure out how they work thanks to the videos at the SharpToolsUSA web site . I don’t have the Tormek base unit or the Jet (not the HF $99 version either). I built mine from a closeout low RPM wet wheel at Lowes for $30 and I made a wooden base to hold the Jigs. I did the same thing with my grinder and mounted Razor Sharp Edgemaking system wheels I got at Woodcraft.

I just wish the planer/jointer knife sharpening jig was way cheaper. I also tend not to use it in winter because I’m afraid freezing temps will damage the wheel due to the water that may soak into the wheel. I have no clue how long the wheel holds water after draining.

View Gary Ratajczak's profile

Gary Ratajczak

#4 posted 01-28-2008 10:53 PM

For anyone wanting to get their feet (or hands) wet on “wet wheel” sharpening, I just picked up the HF version – $75.00 after sale and coupons.

Sharpened one old beat up chisel so far – it now shaves hair off my arm with ease.

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

#5 posted 01-29-2008 12:36 AM

mothunter,
I looked at the Jet, but I live in Canada and Jet is not available. I could have had it shipped to me, but the last time I had something shipped across the border it cost me 45$ brokerage fee for a $12 order.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#6 posted 01-30-2008 05:48 PM

What is the HF for $99? I’ve enen Googled and can’t get a hit.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View designerboy's profile

designerboy

#7 posted 02-05-2008 09:08 AM

I agree with GaryK, great machine, and relaxing, though I had some difficulty with Japanese chisels.
and I am not a huge fan offlatening blades on the wheel edge. I have some japanese waterstones for that….

But after my Dad saw how I revived one of his old planes he gave me (probably thought it had seen better days!)
I showed him his reflection in the blade and the wispy floating shavings, he actually opened his wallet and bought himself a set of new chisels. (Now that he had a place to bring up the edges easily!)

-- My Fear is when i die, my wife will sell my tools for what I TOLD her they cost

View Daniel Graff's profile

Daniel Graff

#8 posted 02-08-2008 12:24 AM

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#9 posted 12-31-2011 04:27 PM

Thought you may like to see my video of the Upgrades I made to the Work Sharp including one that allows you to use Tormek jigs AND how to use cheap buffing compound instead of sandpaper instead of diamond wheels and compounds: