Cleaner lungs are good

Review by Woodknack posted 04-17-2016 11:50 PM 2645 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cleaner lungs are good Cleaner lungs are good No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Product: Delta Industrial 50-722 1 Micron Top Bag for 50-720 and AP400
Regular Price: $20

I’ve only owned one dust collector, an AP400, and it came with a 30 micron bag that would snap to attention when the collector comes on. I didn’t have any complaints about dust but after reading a godzillion warnings that you should have a 1 micron bag I bit the bullet and purchased this upgrade, catching it on sale for half price. The AP400 is supposed to have a metal rod that supports the bag, mine is missing, but it never mattered as the old bag was turgid when inflated and supported itself just fine. The new bag is missing the tab where the hook would attach and it doesn’t snap to attention. In fact it doesn’t ‘inflate’ at all. The new bag is made of a completely different material that is thick and soft like wool, whereas the old bag was thin and slick like nylon. Apparently, besides being much thicker and more filtering, it passes more air. It is so thick it stands up on it’s own, unless you bump the bag or move the collector. Performance-wise I can’t compare as I didn’t have any complaints about the old bag and without a meter to test air quality I can’t tell you if it’s really better.

Pros: It passes more air which should mean less restriction. Fits like a glove. Better air quality??
Cons: Missing the tab which attaches to the hook on the collector (if I had one)

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#1 posted 04-18-2016 12:21 AM

I agree with you Rick about this bag. I have the delta 50-720 and I notice a lot of change with this 1 micron bag compared to the grizzly dust collector I had with the 30 micron bag. Definitely better air quality. I use to see a lot of particles floating around the 30 micron and can hardly see any with this one. After 2 bottom bag changes you should see it get even better. Breath healthy.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#2 posted 04-18-2016 02:14 AM

Question: Doesn’t dust still come out from the bottom bag? Unless, of course, you have a clear plastic bottom bag.

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#3 posted 04-18-2016 04:46 AM

Maybe. I’m not an expert on dust collectors. My shop isn’t exactly dust proofed. I also wear a mask.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#4 posted 07-11-2016 05:15 PM

I recently picked up a couple of these bags and was going to use one on the bottom but haven’t tried it yet. I wonder if it would work or not. Since the bulk of the fines and air go through the top, I would think the 1 micron on top will take care of most of the dust but I can see the dust on the bottom bag too so a finer bag would help??

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#5 posted 07-26-2016 05:11 PM

Follow up on my previous post. I put the same bag on the bottom of the dust collector and it seems to be working just fine. I have noticed less fine dust clinging to the wall behind the dust collector so it seems to be an improvement. Haven’t had to empty the dust collector yet to see how things look inside.