Lithium-ion 18Volt Impact Driver/Driver Drill/Flashlight

Review by Karson posted 06-14-2009 02:50 AM 6523 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lithium-ion 18Volt Impact Driver/Driver Drill/Flashlight No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this drill/driver for a deck for my daughter, my Ridged batteries were dying a fast death.

A side note on the construction. I bought a Hitachi 18 volt drill and ratched drill at Lowes for $229.00 before I went. Model WH 18DSAL

Hitachi site

I charged up both batteries. Everything worked great. All joyce hangers, screws up to 3 1/2”, decking boards, facia boards stairs were attached with the two screw guns. It required an additional charge on each battry and a second charge on one more battery. One phyllips screw tip busted on the ratchet drill after a lot of pounding. and it was on putting in the stairs with the 3 1/2” screws.

I’m really happy with these Li-on set. It would run and when the battery was dead it just wouldn’t come on. So it was full speed and then nothing. If I was not aware of that condition we would have gone looking for bad switches.

Cabinetmaker said that his boss brought him a 12 volt set and he was pleased, so I bought this 18Volt set on his recomendation.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19715 posts in 2605 days

#1 posted 06-14-2009 03:03 AM

Thanks for the tip Karson. Will look out for that one.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Napaman's profile

Napaman

#2 posted 06-14-2009 03:23 AM

what do you mean by: ”...we would have gone looking for bad switches.”

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

#3 posted 06-14-2009 03:56 AM

Napaman. The drill just stopped working. It’s not like MN-HI batteries where it keeps running slower until it stops.

This drill ran full speed, we went to another screw and nothing, wouldn’t turn. Changed the battery and away it goes.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#4 posted 06-14-2009 04:18 AM

Thanks Karson. I again used the 12V set this week and only charged the batteries one time. When they are discharged you flat know it is time to recharge. And 45 minutes or less is all it takes to get a full charge.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#5 posted 06-14-2009 05:06 AM

The Li-Ion batteries don’t self-discharge sitting on the shelf unused. For the homeowner who doesn’t use the tool all that often… that feature really helps… my Li-ion is ready to go but my MN-HI goes dead just sitting on the shelf. I use a 4 V little thing… that works great for my needs… doesn’t strip or break the screw. I could see myself getting downright dangerous with 18 V. My fall back is my corded Dewalt.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View jack1's profile

jack1

1953 posts in 2781 days

#6 posted 06-14-2009 05:20 AM

This is great battery technology. I got a mini Bosch and a set of Makita drill/hammer with the same Li-ion type batteries. Very reliable.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View kosta's profile

kosta

#7 posted 06-14-2009 05:25 AM

I have used the bosch before but this hiachi looks more powerful

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2080 days

#8 posted 06-14-2009 07:18 AM

Nice review Karson, while I have never owned a Hitachi before…I do have several Bosch drivers and drills….I LOVE the L-ion batterys….last for ever…recharge in 30 mins.

I did the same thing the first time my battery went dead…thought the darn thing broke…ran fine one min…the next nothing.

My first ion battery was a Bosch 10V driver…loved it so much…I slowly bought the whole set, the 12V driver/hammer, 12v drill, and 18v drill….all work great….I love this ion technology.

-- Don S.E. OK

View Jbower500's profile

Jbower500

#9 posted 06-15-2009 08:26 PM

I have the same drill. This drill has more power than you can hold with one hand. I found using the crutch helps this wrist not take such a beating. Great drill. Unless something a whole lot better comes along this is the last cordless drill I will buy. Replace the batteries and the brushes. The brushes can be changed out without opening the case. Very user friendly. Also it has four different speed ranges.