Track Saw

Review by Steve posted 04-16-2016 04:43 AM 3592 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Track Saw Track Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Used my Festool track saw Model TS-75-EQ for the first time today. This is by far the very best tool that is in my collection. If I could give it a 10 out of 5 that would be my rating. I have a good quality 10” Cabinet saw, General Canada and the cut from that compared to the Festool does not even compare.

I had cut a couple pieces of 3/4” cabinet grade plywood with Maple veneer at 21-1/2” on my cabinet saw and when the pieces were stacked together you could feel a slight variance in widths, which is totally inadequate. I then decided to trim the pieces down to 21” with my new track saw, I stacked the two pieces and cut them together and was I ever impressed. I ran a fine tooth blade and there was not one chip in the ripping or cross cuts. The pieces I cross cut were 7’ in length and I used a 118” one piece rail which gave lots of extra length. I used the 32” rail for making the 21” cross cuts and found that it worked but seemed just a little short by the time the saw enters and exits the cut.

There was a little bit of a learning curve with the first time use, and what that was is the way I had the plywood laid out on my cutting bed. The saw has a riving knife that follows the blade down when making the plunge cut, and what happened was the riving knife made contact with the styrofoam and lifted the saw slightly off the track and I had a minor kickback. This is entirely my fault and that will never happen again. When using the plunge cut saws always make sure there are no obstructions to interfere. Once again GREAT tool and the next one on the list is the Festool Domino joiner.

View Steve's profile

Steve

188 posts in 2080 days

View REL's profile

REL

#1 posted 04-16-2016 06:11 AM

Come on, It’s not that great of a tool! I’ve got the 55 version of the tool; expensive. It is okay. Need always to worry about where I don’t cut so I don’t cut a table. I have already cut up one track learning. Not worth the high cost of German Machines and I am Austrian.

Buy a SawStop instead. That is my favorite tool.

-- REL, North Jersey

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#2 posted 04-16-2016 10:44 AM

I have the 55, and use it to joint boards for perfect fit . I’ve never had a jointer or tablesaw that compares to the 55 for clean and straight cut.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 04-16-2016 12:27 PM

Agree 100% with your observation that your Festool TS75 is more accurate than your good quality table saw. I’ve had the same experience with my Festool TS55 compared to my Model 66 PM—incredible accuarcy and quality of cut, couple with unparalleled ease in dimensioning sheet stock.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#4 posted 04-16-2016 09:08 PM

I rip identical plywood pieces with a $600 contractor saw and the thickness difference in the two is not measurable. If you are having that kind of trouble with your table saw, then either your saw is not tuned correctly or your technique is bad. I have a Makita track saw and I like it a lot. However, it is nowhere near a replacement for a good table saw.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#5 posted 04-16-2016 09:57 PM

- ArtMann

I agree with the above. Granted, the 55 and 75 are wonderful saws and do their job extremely well, but, if you are getting that consistent of cuts, your accurate setup is more of the star.
So congrats on your setup accuracy.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

View DMC1903's profile

DMC1903

#6 posted 04-17-2016 03:56 AM

I too have the TS 75, it’s a great tool!
Highly recommend the XL Domino, I’m very pleased with both purchase’s.
No buyers remorse

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#7 posted 04-18-2016 02:10 AM

Okay, I’m going to raise a few hackles here. I have never had a kickback with a circular saw that I couldn’t easily control. And then it only happens as I get almost to the end of the cut, at which point I simply let off on the trigger. Grizzly’s track saw also has a riving knife, but I am not convinced they are worth the trouble on a circular saw.

As for a riving knife on a TS, that’s another story. Well worthwhile.

View MJCD's profile

MJCD

#8 posted 05-10-2016 08:44 PM

Here we go again… Festool products, and 10-stars…

I have owned this saw, the Tracks, the MFT/3 for several years – with the Tracks, it is a highly functional circular saw; so is the DeWalt (I’m told) – it’s not going to replace a Table Saw, it’s not going to replace a jointer – not if you’re doing a lot of precise work – it takes too long to set-up repetitive precise cuts, it has a limited cut capacity, relative to a Table Saw, and you have to fiddle with how you’re going to clamp your work – if the board is thin, then you need a scrap piece of the same thickness to support the Tracks (otherwise, you don’t get a 90 degree cut, by the way).

And, I just don’t understand how you can get glue-ready edges: yes, they seem clean, but not jointer-clean – regardless of how good you are with a cabinet scraper.

Festool makes very good tools at extraordinary prices; some have advanced my work (the Domino, for one; and the TS-75 may be another example); however, it’s still just a highly-functional circular saw – IMHO. It’s another tool in the toolbox, at about $1,500 inclusive of the MFT/3 – that’s a lot of tool money.

By the way, I used the TS-75 today to dimension several 2” thick Sapele boards – very tough stuff; and it did a nice job – better than hauling the boards to the Table Saw, and forcing them through the blade; however, setup time was longer, and always the fear that I’m cutting something below the boards.

MJCD