Vintage Craftsman 1/3 Sheet Sander

Review by dustbunny posted 1868 days ago 4361 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Vintage Craftsman 1/3 Sheet Sander Vintage Craftsman 1/3 Sheet Sander Vintage Craftsman 1/3 Sheet Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

No longer available for purchase through Sears, this sander can still be had at yard sales, auctions, eBay, or your grandpa’s workshop.

Since I totally dislike sanding as part of the woodworking experience, I have to say I love this sander.
Once I established the fact that I had a stack of cutting boards that needed to be sanded and had built my downdraft table to ease my pain, my husband turned up with this sander. He held it out saying it belonged to his dad, and it was one of his favorites. (He was holding out on me). I took it from him and immediately went to the floor with it. This baby weighs 8.5 lbs ! I was reluctant to use it, as I am from the new and shiny generation, but I gave it a try, and was astonished at how easy it was to use. It doesn’t really move itself around, you do have to push it, but it works like a charm.

Here are the reasons I love this sander-
1. It’s not plastic. Plastic has no weight so the sand paper is just skimming your project.
2. Decreases sanding time. The weight does the work and really allows the grit to contact the wood.
3. Speaking of weight, which I think is the key the the effectiveness of this sander, I said before it weighs 8.5 lbs. Compared to today’s 1/3 sheet sanders: Makita – 3.1 lbs Clas Ohlson – 3.5 lbs Dewalt – 6.2 lbs pretty close in weight, I might consider this when the Craftsman dies
4. It actually has gnarly teeth that eat end grain !! LOL (see third photo)

It is actually a fairly quiet unit. The vibration in the hand piece on mine is minimal, and the amount of vibration is adjustable with a turn of the screw button on the top. And as you can see in the first photo, the felt pad needs to be replaced for a flatter surface, but I think a rubber pad can be modified to fit.

If any of you get the opportunity to get one of these sanders, don’t pass it by. I don’t think you’ll regret your new find.

View degoose's profile

degoose

6967 posts in 1951 days

I have a Metabo 6’ dual orbit random orbital sander ,, works ok… but the real terror in my shop is the little 5” Bosch 125 ROS,,. brilliant .. I don’t use the metabo.. which cost 3times as much.. the Bosch really rips through and No teeth that I can see. LOL The Bosch also has a filter box with a cardboard filter the catches nearly all the dust.. I only have to remember to empty it., no real nead for any other dust extraction ,,, works fantastically
I have 1/3 sheet but dont use it.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

dustbunny

I forgot to mention I also have a DeWalt 5” random orbital, a 6”belt 8” disc combo, a 1/4 sheet finish sander, and several pneumatic disc sanders. The vintage Craftsman blows them out of the dust pile.

View jack1's profile

jack1

1907 posts in 2623 days

That looks really old. I thought I had an antique with my 1968 K-Mart 1/3 sheet which also works… Very cool.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

I have an old “Millers Falls” belt sander that I believe is made from Cast Iron ! LOL …..It weighs a ton , but still performs great : )

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Are the end grain teeth standard or does it take special fertilizer to grow ‘em?

dustbunny

I think my father-in-law purchased them separate as an attachment. LOL, and it is nice to hear there are still people using the older tools.