Delta 6in Jointer with Stand (Shopmaster)

Review by Tim_456 posted 1776 days ago 5845 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta 6in Jointer with Stand (Shopmaster) Delta 6in Jointer with Stand (Shopmaster) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

To begin this review I have to add that this is my first jointer ever. I’ve never used one before so all of my comments are based on being a novice.

Also, one peculiar thing is that this jointer is not advertised on Delta’s website and other than seeing it in the Rockler advertisement I can’t find any proof of it’s existence;) The jointer is a 6 in model with a metal stand that needs to be assembled. The bed could be a bit longer but for me it works very well. So on to the review.

Over Christmas Rockler had an advertisement for this jointer for $200 as part of a door buster sale on Jan 2. Regular price on the box was listed at $400. To get it I was at the store in 10 degree weather at 5am to wait in line. Luckily I got there when I did because of the 10 they had in stock, I got number 8. I was a bit apprehensive about this given it’s size, the motor’s power and the lever control of the infeed table. But for $200 I figured I could learn on it for a few years and then move up to a larger model.

After wrangling the 250lb mammoth box home and hassling a friend of mine we carefully broke out backs getting it into the basement. The instructions were very clear and in about two hours the jointer was put together and right side up. I was going to follow the calibratoin instructions but after putting my engineering square against the fence I found it to be good enough to get started.

With the fence set (by a total novice) I was ready to run some 4 in wide oak. I have nothing to compare this to but to me it went through very well and come out smooth as silk. I’ve been using this now for a few months and it’s still running great. It’s not super load and is tolerable in the house. face joining is going very well and while I need to improve my technique, i’m coming to the conclusion that I’ll have this tool alot longer than I thought. I have not had to replace the knives yet so we’ll see how easy that is.

The only downside to this is a good, but not great, dust collection. I have my delta DC collected and it gets most of the shavings but a few still make it to the floor. It does not, however, launch a bunch of dust into the air.

One other area I was surprised with was the lever adjustment on the infeed side. I was hoping for a wheel because well, that just seemed more precise, and the lever was a compromise based on the price but I haven’t found that to be a problem at all. It’s easy to make small adjustments and get the tool set for work.

I have not tried rabbitting with it and probably never will.

So, if you’re a novice looking for a jointer to get started wtih I would highly recommend this tool. It was very easy to set up and very easy to start making sawdust ;) The difficult part will actually be finding this tool to buy.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

158 posts in 2096 days

109273 posts in 2078 days

wow what a bargin $200 it looks like it will get er done just fine.

View TheCaver's profile

TheCaver

I have one of these in my shop….Although I wish I had an 8” jointer, I’ve cranked out a ton of boards with this machine and it has paid for itself several times over…..I got it set up right last year and have never moved any adjustment on it since, except to check it for 90 every now and again….If it was an 8”, I’d never even consider another jointer….

JC

-- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. -Carl Sagan

View Jim's profile

Jim

Thanks for the post. I’m looking to add my first jointer to the shop so will consider this model. Wish I could get it at the price you paid!

-- Jim in Langley BC Canada --- www.sollows.ca

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2258 posts in 1938 days

Super deal and it looks like it will do the job fine. I have an older cast iron craftsman and had a funnel sort of chip collection thingy on it. I removed it and use some small snap clamps to pin a plastic bag on the stand under the machine. I find that 95% of the chips fall straight down into the bag and the jointer really doesn’t seem to make dust. Just chips.

A word of help: if you do a lot of edge jointing where you use about 3/4” of the blade all the time, and we all do I think. Consider moving your fence over periodically to even the wear on the knives.

View PCorl's profile

PCorl

Good review

View Julian's profile

Julian

880 posts in 2026 days

I’ve had this same model for over 10 years. It has worked as well as the day I bought it. The dust collection leaves something to be desired, but it works.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Excellent review!!!! THANKS!!

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

158 posts in 2096 days

Thanks for the responses and the excellent tip Daniel. Having never had a jointer before I wouldn’t have thought about that.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb or some ball park figure on how long a set of knives should stay sharp for or how I’ll know when to change them? I’m probably not going to try and resharpen them, I’ll just replace them.

Thanks again!

View kerflesss's profile

kerflesss

Good review. My Delta 37-195 has the same adustment lever you spoke about and it took a little getting use to. I do find that I adjust my in-feed to 1/32” and more or less leave it there. I rip my boards 1/32 over and just take a pass to clean up the edge.

On how long your knives will stay sharp? Depends your usage (type of wood and volume) and how clean your wood is. I had some maple from a supplier that had some sand or rock embedded in the wood and it took out my blades. Some wood such as teak naturally has silica in it and it alone is very rough on blades. Also agree with Daniel about moving your fence across your blades to keep the wear even.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

996 posts in 1986 days

Daniel, excellent tip, and something I at least tend to forget.

-- God is Great, Wood is Good. nuff said.

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

ive had this exact jointer in my shop for 13 years…..its never let me down…and ive furnished my house and many projects besides, and never a problem…..of coarse i could say i would like a longer bed…or a ” bigger one”..but isnt that most mens want…...grizzman

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1952 posts in 1965 days

Tim 456, sharpening is much cheaper. This jointer looks just like my Jet 6in, from the pics the handle vs wheel adjustment is the only difference. Happy with mine except as JC put it, an 8 in would be nice. Newblades at woodsmith shop, $80 + / -, online 49+/-, tool sharpening shop about $24.00. The 24 dollar ones were significantly harder steel too!!! Sharpening is just a few dollars plus postage. Send in enough blades at one time, some places will drop the postage fee.
Good luck, sure you’ll enjoy the jointer, looks like a good tool. OBTW, good review.
BTKS

PS, blade life depends on species of wood, amount of contamination with dirt or silica, feed rate and depth of cut. Go easy, long time. Abuse, short time. You’ll get the feel for it.

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View skspurling's profile

skspurling

I bought this jointer from Grizzly in Springfield, MO. Great jointer. It’s the same as the Jet, and I just saw it at Grizzly under a different name on the showroom floor. They don’t have Delta on the showroom floor, but I was able to get it through Amazon, so I called the store and asked if I could pick it up while I was down there one day. They said sure, and when I got it home, I was mildly surprised. Not the biggest machine, but more than enough for me. I am glad I didn’t drop any more on a 6” unit. 8” would be nice, but this is quite nice for a 6”.

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

Tim, I have the same model. Had it for awhile. I don’t try to dust collect this machine. I put a small box at the end of the chute and catch the chips. No problem and uses less electricity. I still get the chips flying out of the sides so why worry about it. Take the little plastic connector off and sell it on Ebay.

As far as the blade life. Ditto the LJs ahead of me. I bought a couple more sets of blades and keep them handy. It takes me a good 2 to 3 hours to set the fresh blades in. Get a chair, some cool tunes and relax. I use a dial indicator with magnetic base (Woodcraft link) I clamp down an aluminum square across the outfeed table and use it as a reference to set the mag base against and the end of the dial at top dead center of the cutter head. Set the blades at the same height within a .001” on the ends and middle. After all three blades are level and even, you can set the outfeed table’s height to match the blades.

Yes, on resharpening. I bought a couple of extra sets on EBay and use a local sharpening service.

If you want to hone your techniques, check out FWW’s website for some very good video demos.

This machine rabbets OK but you have to take the guard off and a router does a better job and faster.

Best of luck.

-- Makin' Sawdust!!!

View Twigger's profile

Twigger

I just bought this jointer for $400 from an old traditional hardware store where everything comes already assembled. I love the pre-millenial design: stout throughout, simple, good fit and finish. In the store I was able to make sure the in and outfeed tables were coplaner. I got it home and to my surprise, even using the digital gizmos to check the height of the blades and the square of the fence, everything was dead on. And I was checking at 1 thousandth of an inch and 1 tenth of a degree. Somebody at the factory or the store did a great job of setup. Even with S4S lumber, it’s easy to track the sides you’ve jointed because they’re very smooth. And this thing is very quiet. It’s dust collection is just fiine. My table saw with a zero clearance insert leaves more behind on the tabletop than this jointer does. It just has the feel of something that will last. And it certainly has a history of doing so from reviews I’ve seen.

-- When can we go fishing, err woodworking?!