HF pin nailer

Review by hairy posted 04-10-2016 08:02 PM 3006 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HF pin nailer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m working on a box project , and I am making up the plan as I go. I’m right at the point where I’m thinking, How am I going to put this together? This is normal for me. I’ve got parts cut and glued together, and I need to connect 2 of the 3 main sections. I’m way past the point of doing any kind of joinery.

I have a subscription to Woodsmith Magazine. I think it’s the best. In the current issue ( Vol. 38 Issue 224) is a review of some of their favorite HF tools. And there’s my answer.

With my 20% coupon it cost me $17 and change. Another $5 for what will be for me a lifetime supply of pins. It worked 1st time out of the box, so far so good. Maybe this is one of those tools that I will say, Why didn’t I get that a long time ago?

I’m going to go back and add screws on each of the 4 sides. The pin nails are there to hold it together to drill and install the screws, kinda like a tack weld. Screws may be overkill, but I’m OK with that.

Now I admit, I have only used it on some test scraps and this one project. And I won’t be using it daily, but for $17, it’s a winner.

-- My reality check bounced...

View hairy's profile

hairy

View Bothus's profile

Bothus

#1 posted 04-10-2016 10:37 PM

I bought the same one several months ago just to have backup. Haven’t used it much but it seems fine.

-- Jerry Boshear, Professional Kitchen Designer, amature woodworker.

View Roger's profile

20929 posts in 2832 days

#2 posted 04-11-2016 12:15 AM

I had a few of those, and had nothing but problems with em. Maybe they’ve made them better lately. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had one. Thnx for your review hairy.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 04-11-2016 01:50 AM

I was considering this gun then I came across this WEN http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-4-in-to-2-in-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-61720/203579158
So sorry,wrong review I wish that I could delete this

-- Desert_Woodworker

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

2768 posts in 2053 days

#4 posted 04-11-2016 02:07 AM

I use mine for attaching tiny moldings and to hold small parts for gluing. Have had no problems with it so far. If I make a mistake, I find the pins almost impossible to pull out. Instead they break off and then have to hammered flush, or ground off. Not the tool’s fault, of course.

View htl's profile

htl

#5 posted 04-11-2016 02:44 PM

Seems like I’ve read in some other posts on here that the gun works great and even better when used with better nails and keep it oiled.

Of course that goes for all nail guns doesn’t it.

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

#6 posted 04-11-2016 02:57 PM

Thanks for the review,I too bought one as a backup and carry it on my truck used for construction, works great.

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

#7 posted 04-11-2016 06:12 PM

I have several HF nail-guns in different sizes and they all work just fine.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2718 days

#8 posted 04-11-2016 06:47 PM

I have had this one for a couple of years now and used it some but not a whole lot but it has never failed me yet having run a couple of hundred pins thru it. I also have the 18 ga. nailer from HF and have run a lot more nails thru it and had the same results , no misfires and no jams so I am happy with both of them.
Most likely not the guns for a Pro shop running Hundreds of nails a day thru it but for most people that only use it a few times a month it seems fine.

View Bothus's profile

Bothus

#9 posted 04-20-2016 11:59 PM

I had occasion to use mine again this week after it had been sitting in a cabinet for at least a year.

It worked fine.

After I was done I put a few drops of oil in it and put it back in the cabinet.

-- Jerry Boshear, Professional Kitchen Designer, amature woodworker.

View BRef's profile

BRef

#10 posted 05-25-2016 10:09 AM

I have 4 HF nailers and they are the best HF products I have purchased. Just don’t use the HF nails, I think that is what most people use when complaining of the HF nail guns. Also keep them oiled.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2718 days

#11 posted 05-25-2016 05:17 PM

I have 4 HF nailers and they are the best HF products I have purchased. Just don t use the HF nails, I think that is what most people use when complaining of the HF nail guns. Also keep them oiled.

- BRef

Yes that is the most common problem I have heard about them was the HF nails and pins are not real good quality. So far mine have worked fine but I do plan on buying better ones when I find them at a good price or when the HF ones start acting up which ever comes first.

View Holt's profile

Holt

#12 posted 08-02-2016 04:44 PM

I’ve got a previous version of that Pin Nailer (it’s blue) and it works fine for its designated task, pin nailing. In my opinion, the only real use for pin nails is to hold something in place while a more permanent solution is implemented (like waiting for the glue to set). I agree with the recommendation to avoid HF nails. I have some brads from them that work okay, but I use Grex pin nails and have had no problems. i put a few drops of air tool oil down the nipple before hooking up the air hose and have had no problems.

-- ...Specialization is for insects.