A Worthy bandsaw blade

Review by GaryK posted 01-27-2008 01:04 AM 10360 views 4 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Worthy bandsaw blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using these blades for years now and they are fantastic. They do a great jog resawing. They create no vibration and noise due to their variable tooth spacing from 3 to 4 TPI. Leaves a great finish also.
I have cut perfect .093” think slices off of an 11 1/2” board.

Fine Woodworking April 2004 has rated their Wood Slicer blade as “Best All-Round Performer” in their independent test for speed, flatness and smoothness!

It also has a very thin blade of .022”. At only $29.99 for common sizes it’s hard to beat.

You can see more at:

View TomFran's profile

TomFran

#1 posted 01-27-2008 01:47 AM

Thanks for your review here Gary. I am definitely going to get one with the money I saved making my book stand!

-- Tom, Surfside Beach, SC - Romans 8:28

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#2 posted 01-27-2008 01:50 AM

I’ve been using Timberline and am not really satisfied.

From your picture it looks like you are not using a fence that is as high as the wood. Others have told me that having a tall fence would improve resawing.

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

#3 posted 01-27-2008 02:05 AM

Sawdust2 – That’s actually a stock picture from their website.

Having a fence as tall as the wood would only work if you have adjusted the fence for drift.
I do do that when I am making precision cuts.

Sometimes I am just resawing some 8/4 stock to 4/4 stock and I don’t want to put a tall fence on. What I do is clamp a piece of wood on the table at the width of cut then use a featherboard to keep the bottom of the board against it. Then I just draw a line on the top of the board and just follow the line.

It’s suprisingly quick and accurate.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#4 posted 01-27-2008 02:08 AM

Must be practice.
I’ve done the David Marks thing about adjusting for drift but that changes with each blade.
On free hand resawing I do alright for about 5 feet and then there will be a small bump. Usually only a problem for the small side if I’m trying to resaw 5/4 to make 1/2 boards.

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#5 posted 01-27-2008 02:25 AM

You beat me to the punch on this one Gary.

I recently purchased one, & tried it on a 9’’ thick piece of Maple.

It cut like a charm, with my fence set straight. not a bit of drift.

I think a lot has to do with my saw.

I really haven’t had one of these blades long enough to say how long it’ll last,

but by the looks of it, I think it’ll last a long time.

I’ll be buying more of these.

View TomFran's profile

TomFran

#6 posted 01-27-2008 02:38 AM

Gary,

What size blade would you use for most of your work with the bandsaw? Do you usually keep the same blade on yours to do everything?

-- Tom, Surfside Beach, SC - Romans 8:28

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#7 posted 01-27-2008 11:22 AM

Thanks Gary. Resawing is all I do on my big bandsaw. I believe I’ll be ordering one of these bad-boys, soon.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#8 posted 01-27-2008 03:28 PM

When I tried my Wood Slicer blade, I took this picture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A nice clean cut.

#9 posted 01-27-2008 04:49 PM

Tom – I usually get 3/4” for a stiffer blade, but I have also used the 1/2 with equal success. I would recommend the 1/2” first because you can do more with it other than resaw. Tighter circles and curves.

I usually only change blades when I have to. I would much rather be cutting things.

#10 posted 01-27-2008 05:22 PM

I had one years ago. The cut was fantastic on all of the practice cuts. But when i went to do the real cuts the blade seemed to be dull and wouldn’t cut.

I was unhappy.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#11 posted 01-27-2008 05:41 PM

I’ve been jonesing for a luaguna resaw blade since I saw the cut they got at a local woodshow.
This does not look too shabby either and it seems the price is much better.

Gary, where did you find the listing for a 3/4” blade? I must have missed it when I looked at the site.

Cheers
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#12 posted 01-27-2008 05:59 PM

Bob – Here is tha main page showing all the options.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19570 posts in 2541 days

#13 posted 01-27-2008 11:38 PM

Great tips there Gary. I use a similar blade. The larger teeth make all the difference.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#14 posted 01-29-2008 03:28 AM

Hi Gary;

I too was using a timber line and wasn’t overly impressed with it.

Actually I didn’t see any difference from the jet blades I bough with my saw.

Lee

#15 posted 01-29-2008 03:41 AM

Hey Lee,

This isn’t the Timber line it’s the Wood Slicer from Highland.

Maybe you meant the Wood Slicer though.