Heat Treating Heaven!

Review by Ripthorn posted 04-09-2016 01:04 AM 3480 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heat Treating Heaven! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I like to build tools, but the most frustrating part is usually heat treating the parts that need it. I have been using MAPP gas, but with one of the old style brass torch heads. I have a 1 1/2” wide, 1/4” thick, 3 1/2” long iron that needs heat treatment and I decided enough was enough and I went to HD and bought this torch. A couple things surprised me about it:

- All metal construction, save the two knobs. The black part is not plastic, like I thought it might be.
- It’s BIG. We are talking almost twice as tall as a regular brass torch head, and about 1.5 times the head diameter
- The flame output is INSANE!

I set up a few of my fire bricks to make a little forge like thing. Because of the arrangement, I ended up only having it enclosed on four sides and was thinking maybe I would use a propane torch as heat reinforcement so that heat would dissipate more slowly from the iron. Not needed….at all….like, seriously. I started it up and was equal parts terrified and giddy as a school girl. I was seated about 2 feet away during the heat soak, and the heat I felt on my face was like being at a big camp fire. The iron turned completely red and non-magnetic within maybe 3 minutes. Before, I would spend 10-15 minutes waiting for a piece to get to temp, if at all.

This will be a huge game changer for me in my tool making. Now, instead of worrying about how to heat treat it or dreading having to sit there holding a torch forever, I can just turn this on, hit it for a minute or two, and be done with it. I have no idea what gas consumption is relative to my old torch, but I am certain I will be consuming less gas with this, as it is a much more efficient combustion process with the swirl head and all.

So the short and long of it is, as long as it doesn’t break down on me all too soon, it is totally worth it. Highly recommended.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

View Don W's profile

Don W

#1 posted 04-09-2016 11:02 AM

Thanks Brian.

-- http://timetestedtools.net - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View ShogunJimi's profile

ShogunJimi

#2 posted 04-09-2016 12:12 PM

Nice review, I bought this about six months ago and regretfully have not opened it. Glad to know that I bought the right thing

-- Only a woodworker will value a good screw-up

View Roger's profile

20949 posts in 2950 days

#3 posted 04-09-2016 01:09 PM

Thnx for your review Brian

View terryR's profile

terryR

#4 posted 04-09-2016 02:43 PM

Brian, I feel your pain!

I’ve also spent 1/2 hour on my hands and knees trying to heat thick steel with the old torch. Sux. The new tip is much improved!

FWIW, I also splurged on a 5foot hose that connects the torch to a larger propane tank. Worth the $20!

Keep up the slow burn…

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View Greg the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

#5 posted 04-10-2016 12:40 AM

Excellent review…
The 8000 is a great torch and well made. I bought one for brazing aluminum and was surprised how much better it was when using it with mapp gas instead of the propane. the mapp gas is about three time the cost of propane but worth it because it heats 4-5 times faster…so I guess it is better in the long run.

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself"

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#6 posted 04-11-2016 02:03 AM

I used mine to heat and bend at a 90 deg. angle a 5/8” diameter bolt. Got it red hot, and with a pipe persuader slid over the bolt, bent it in one pull to 90 degrees.

I do use MAPP gas for the extra heat.