Nice template sort of. Waiting on support....

Review by dbhost posted 04-08-2016 08:40 PM 1991 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice template sort of. Waiting on support.... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got a Rockler Gift card for Christmas this past year (yay!), which means I finally had no excuse to not buy the State Park Font template set I have been wanting. And for the most part it was exactly what I was expecting. HOWEVER two issues…

#1. Do NOT use the tempate in the manner shown by Rockler. Your router base WILL hang on it, and if you give too much pressure it can hop up and ram the bit through whatever is in the way.

#2. The brass bushing that came with mine is defective, and it will NOT stay locked down, in turn causing it, and the router base to kick up.

Needless to say, I managed to mash the router bit through one of my letter templates. I called Rockler customer service, and they happily have a replacement letter template and bushing on the way to me.

The templates themselves are a fairly soft, flexible plastic, not flexible enough to be a problem using them, but they theoretically could wear prematurely.

Now, like I said, do not tape your templates from above like what their promo photo illustrates. It is just bad news. Your best option is to use double sided tape from below. It only needs to hold the template still in place during the routing operation, and NOT permanently mount the template to the work piece. So choose your tape carefully!

Assuming Rockler support sent out the right stuff, and the new bushing holds fast, I will be happy with this set.

One issue I am concerned with though, I do NOT like 1/4” shank bits, and the recommended Rockler router bit ONLY comes in 1/4” shank.

The specs for the Rockler bit are 5/8” cove sign making bit, 1/2” deep with a 1/4” shank.

I am hoping to try out my 1 Cove Sign Lettering (5/8” 60ยบ) MLCS bit in the bushing / template set to see if it works the same way. I would MUCH rather have the bit support that a 1/2” shank offers.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#1 posted 04-08-2016 09:16 PM

I have the Rockler router bushing set (brass) and it also has a tendency to loosen. My only solution has been to give the nut an extra ‘nudge’ with a pair of slip joint pliers.

#2 posted 04-08-2016 09:18 PM

Even with the slip joint pliers, no joy. It won’t stay put through one whole letter.

I probably should measure the ID, OD, and lip depth of it. One of the stock bushings from my KM12VC might actually work. Those are steel and they lock down nice and tight.

View jfynyson's profile

jfynyson

#3 posted 04-08-2016 11:56 PM

I’ve got the same set but have not had time to open it; can you not put a smal amount of Teflon tape over the threads like in plumbing applications ?

View vulgarviking's profile

vulgarviking

#4 posted 04-09-2016 02:57 AM

I’ve used hot glue for templates that I’ve made, but they were made out of aluminum. Not sure how they would be on the plastic ones though. Maybe if you don’t set the glue too hot? Taping them per the instructions seems like they really haven’t thought this through.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#5 posted 04-09-2016 06:24 PM

I.put a drop of Blue locative on my bushings swirl.it around and let it dry. Just enough to lock them down tight. I did not have the tape hang up problem you experienced, perhaps just dumb luck but I will keep your suggestion in mind in the future. I have used my 2 1/4” template kit several times and have been quite pleased with the results.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#6 posted 04-09-2016 07:09 PM

Peachtree sells a spring washer that you insert between the router and the lock nut on your bushing – works like a charm, never ever loosened on me. http://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_bushing.htm

-- Cheap is expensive! - my Dad

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#7 posted 04-10-2016 01:22 PM

I just recently bought this kit. Haven’t used it yet though. Glad I came across this thread. Now I have some ideas of the possible problems I may face. I did like the suggestion of #6 about the spring washers. That seems to be a good idea. I also thought about doing the same thing JumboJack did.

-- Joe - - Don't be pessimistic, it never works works anyway.

#8 posted 04-14-2016 11:40 PM

Just a quick update. Rockler customer service came through for me. The new bushing works great, as does the template set… Everything is ready to go!