Lt 14 bx by Laguna

Review by bob101 posted 04-07-2016 10:58 AM 8176 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lt 14 bx by Laguna Lt 14 bx by Laguna Lt 14 bx by Laguna Click the pictures to enlarge them

The day has come to upgrade , and after several months of research I decided to go with the Laguna Lt14BX bandsaw. First reason I went with this saw is motor size , this is a 2.5 hp motor on a 14” saw ! Second the fact that it can resaw 13” high boards, lastly even though it is manufactured overseas it is all Laguna ( ceramic guides, pyramid spine, very heavy steel and the fit and finish is impeccable . The other big draw for me was that Laguna uses a ceramic blade guide system instead of guide bearings, downside is when they need replacement they are expensive ( 100+ dollars a set) according to Laguna they should las many years though, so time will tell. Things I noticed upon receiving are that this is packaged really well, assembly took a couple of hours and setup another hour after that. I noticed a 110 accessory plug on the machine, the rip fence is amazing and this thing upon first start up cut a walnut board with Zero drift! Now the other big plus a disc brake for stopping that blade turning on the heavy cast iron wheels! Lastly the other main reason I purchased this saw is the massive cast iron trunnions That’s it so far will post another review after some use.

View ShogunJimi's profile

ShogunJimi

#1 posted 04-07-2016 12:20 PM

Why did you select this model over the 14 inch SUV? I bought an SUV in November when this model was not on the market.

-- Only a woodworker will value a good screw-up

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#2 posted 04-07-2016 06:04 PM

That’s awesome! I’m going to pick up a used Grizzly GO513X2 this weekend.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#3 posted 04-08-2016 04:57 AM

Good review, please show some re-sawn material when you get a chance.
Are you going to connect to 220VAC to get the full 2.5hp?
You don’t mention what you paid for this!

I also hope you enjoy your new saw and have no reason to call customer service!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

#4 posted 04-13-2016 12:29 PM

Ok to answer questions listed. The reason I picked this over the suv is the price 500 more, this saw fits the bill for what I need for my shop. Second yes it come rigged for 220 only. The 110 model has a smaller motor 1.75 hp I believe . I run pretty much everything on 220. I will send picks of a resaw for sure

#5 posted 04-13-2016 12:31 PM

Oh an I almost forgot. Total price was 2999 Canadian funds with shipping to my door, a mobility kit, and a resaw king blade and standard 10 tpi blade for everyday use

View Firewood's profile

Firewood

#6 posted 04-23-2016 04:18 AM

Nice review, but I suspect the 110v accessory outlet is NOT 110v and is 220 to match the input voltage of the saw. You would need a neutral wire or a transformer to get 110 and I highly doubt you will find a transformer on the saw.

I am seriously looking at this saw as a replacement for my old Atlas BS one day soon.

-- Mike - Waukesha, WI

#7 posted 06-09-2016 12:33 PM

I am absolutely loving this bandsaw. I have already put a substantial amount of time on it , and it has exceeded my expectations. The resaw accuracy is amazing. The only issue I have had is that the fence needed a bit of shimming for vertical square to the table for resaw., a strip of masking tape worth at the base. That’s it. Have re sawed 12” Birdseye maple with great results.

View marvinlee's profile

marvinlee

#8 posted 10-05-2016 01:54 AM

- Firewood

I believe that the 110 volt outlet is, indeed, 110 volts (actually 120 volts as that is the official US voltage standard, not 110) The provision of dual voltages also exists on some appliances and accounts for the specific NEC wiring narrative on that topic.

#9 posted 12-05-2016 03:53 PM

so almost a year into this saw as of today, and to update I have had 0 issues with it. still on the resaw king blade for all of my resaw operations without a re sharpen yet. have flipped the fence for other operations , as well as made numerouse blade changes for contour cutting, then switch back to resaw blade and zero adjustment needed for drift! I have to say this thing is well made and reliable as hell! I would not hesitate to recommend this saw to anyone. I currently put about five hours a week on it and it is running like a champ. most of my cutting is resawing of hardwoods and exotics , so when its cutting its being worked and there is no motor strain noted at all.