Awesome HVLP system

Review by stlwood posted 04-05-2016 12:09 PM 3851 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome HVLP system No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

With an upcoming kitchen remodel looming, I decided to bite the bullet and get a quality spray finishing system. After much research, I narrowed my options down to one of the Fuji 4-stage systems. I went back and forth between the mini-mite 4 and the Q4 systems. In the end I decided that the nearly $300 premium was more than I wanted to pay for the noise reduction features of the Q4 (plus I wear hearing protection for most of the power tools in my shop anyway). I’m happy with this decision as the MM4 really is no louder than my shop-vac. I usually spray outside anyway and with the turbine unit 15-20 feet away the noise is not objectionable at all. If I were spraying all day in an enclosed area, my conclusion might be different. The unit appears to be very solidly built. The T75G gravity gun is very impressive. I’m pretty much an amateur at spray finishing, so I’m still experimenting with the gun controls, but so far I have been able to achieve very good spray patterns with a little trial and error. So far I have sprayed some water based dyes with the #2 tip as well as some General Finishes High Performance Poly with the #3 tip. Both came out great, with the GF poly requiring no thinning to spray perfectly. In fact I feel I could spray a significantly more viscous coating without any problems. I did also get the 6’ whip hose and am glad I did as the standard hose is a little heavy. Overall a great system. I’ll definitely be much more limited by my technique than by my equipment for the foreseeable future!

View stlwood's profile

stlwood

View ScottM's profile

ScottM

597 posts in 2053 days

#1 posted 04-05-2016 01:38 PM

What was the price of this unit, additional hose, and tips?

View stlwood's profile

stlwood

#2 posted 04-05-2016 02:08 PM

ScottM, I bought the sprayer from ACME Tools. Price was $760, but they had a promotion at the time for $50 off anything over a certain amount and also had free shipping. So the net cost on the spray unit was $710. The accessories I bought (Amazon) were as follows:

- 2 additional tips (#2 and #5) @ $59.40 each
- 6’ Fuji whip hose $33.25
- gravity cup parts kit (extra gaskets and pressurization tubes) $29.90
- extra turbine filters (2) $ 6.70

So total cost was just under $900

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#3 posted 04-05-2016 03:23 PM

I agree, this is an excellent unit .

View ScottM's profile

ScottM

597 posts in 2053 days

#4 posted 04-05-2016 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was because I saw them at Acme but the price ranges were from like 299 all the way to 900. They all look very similar and couldn’t really tell what the differences are.

View Drew's profile

Drew

#5 posted 04-05-2016 05:58 PM

This is the unit I use, but with the bottom feed gun. Easily my favorite hvlp system, although I’ve only used about a half dozen others.

The gun shoots very nice and might be the easiest I have ever cleaned!

-- TruCraftFurniture.com

View Gregg M.'s profile

Gregg M.

#6 posted 04-05-2016 06:14 PM

I had purchased the Minimite 3 and year back. I like their product. I also have the gravity gun. My only complaint is that the top does not always screw on correctly and material comes out the side making a mess.

-- Marvel Woodworking, West Chester, PA - http://www.MarvelWoodworking.com

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#7 posted 04-06-2016 03:53 AM

I have the mm3 also and it is a great system you will never want to spray with a air compressor ever again

make sure you keep the filters clean on the side

View Matthew's profile

Matthew

#8 posted 04-06-2016 11:53 PM

Just bought the Mini Mite 4 g-xpc this week! Guess we’ll be experimenting together.

-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...

View Snipes's profile

Snipes

#9 posted 04-07-2016 04:37 PM

@drew or anyone with expertise what is the difference between the gravity feed and bottom feed?

-- if it is to be it is up to me

View rhett121's profile

rhett121

#10 posted 04-08-2016 03:22 AM

@snipes

Bottom feed requires either a pressurized cup or higher pressures to get the paint all the way up to the spray gun.
Gravity feed uses…gravity to help get the paint to the cup. You can also use more of the paint in the cup and it’s easier to clean afterwards because there isn’t a long tube to clean. The only bottom feed gun I have now is an Asturo Industrial gun with a 2L pot and a smaller pressurized cup but that runs off a compressor, not a turbine. All the rest are gravity feed guns.

I have this same spray system and it’s quite nice. I have the regular T series gravity gun but use the 3M PPS system with it so I just throw the used cups away when I’m done. It’s a really great system.

View Snipes's profile

Snipes

#11 posted 04-08-2016 01:55 PM

Thanks Rhett for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it. Had to google the pps system, looks slick.

-- if it is to be it is up to me

View Carloz's profile

Carloz

#12 posted 11-03-2016 09:23 PM

@snipes

Gravity feed uses…gravity to help get the paint to the cup. You can also use more of the paint in the cup and it s easier to clean afterwards because there isn t a long tube to clean. The only bottom feed gun I have now is an Asturo Industrial gun with a 2L pot and a smaller pressurized cup but that runs off a compressor, not a turbine. All the rest are gravity feed guns.

I have this same spray system and it s quite nice. I have the regular T series gravity gun but use the 3M PPS system with it so I just throw the used cups away when I m done. It s a really great system.

- rhett121

Interesting, If you have as you claim the same system you should now that both gravity and bottom feed guns use the same pressure feed. The manufacturer claims there is zero difference between the two when it comes to the quality of finish. The only difference is convenience spraying different applications.