Lie-Nielsen Customer Service

Review by Treverk posted 1903 days ago 3159 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie-Nielsen Customer Service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wasn’t sure if this was the right place to post this, but I thought it might do… I have had the Low angle smoother since Christmas (love my wife) and have been quite pleased with it. The other day while taking it apart to sharpen, one of the retaining screws hit the shop floor never to be seen again. A quick and painlessly menu free call to Lie-Nielsen and the replacement screw was sent first class and arrived yesterday free of charge. Before this happened, I was seriously considering picking up one of the new Stanley Sweethearts low angle jack planes, but I started wondering who I would call when I lose a screw. I understand the tension between saving money and buying good tools, but as for a new jack plane, I’m gonna save a little more and by the Lie-Nielsen.

-- Matt

View Treverk's profile

Treverk

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#1 posted 1903 days ago

You are indeed a wise man. You’ll love using it – and likely take better care of it….we tend to be rougher on cheap tools because the “didn’t really cost that much”
I am a big big believer in the buy good stuff and cry only once.

-- "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves." Edison

View Francisco Luna's profile

Francisco Luna

936 posts in 2018 days

#2 posted 1903 days ago

In Latin american countries, there is an old proverb that says: “Lo barato, sale caro”, somethin like “cheap things turn out very expensive”....
I love those tools, I’m an Ebay tool trader and I am always astonished about the way LN tools keep the value…I even have seen used tools to be sold for more money than they cost in the store!

-- Nature is my manifestation of God. I go to nature every day for inspiration in the day's work. I follow in building the principles which nature has used in its domain" Frank Lloyd Wright

View Fireball's profile

Fireball

#3 posted 1903 days ago

Thanks for the report. Better customer service is usually an extra benefit of buying high quality stuff, and it sounds like this is indeed the case with LN.

112008 posts in 2202 days

#4 posted 1903 days ago

I’ve had a screw loose for some time now.

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1967 days

#5 posted 1903 days ago

I intend on purchasing a low angle #5 and actually waiting on the new Stanley but I am think I will stay with the Lie Nielsen or Lee Valley due to their service track records. You get what you pay for!

-- Marc

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#6 posted 1903 days ago

My experience with Lie Nielsen is they offer unparrelled quality. Their customer service is outstanding. When they are at tool shows they take time to instruct. And above all, their tools are made right here in America so I will ALWAYS by Lie Nielsen tools even if it means I have to buy them slower due to the higher prices. Their higher prices are completey worth it.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#7 posted 1903 days ago

Over the year I have the pleasure of owning planes and meeting vary member of the Lie Nielson Group, and it is without saying they are one of the most unpretentious and welcoming company I’ve every hand the pleasure of doing business with. From the owner to instructors and customer services you’ll be hard press to find more nicer, down to earth people to work with….Blkcherry

View bibb's profile

bibb

#8 posted 1903 days ago

I too can sing the praise of Lie Nielsen’s customer service. They stand behind their product in every way. That plus the benefit of the best tools antwhere. But why do the screws fall out? That is the same problem I had. Oh well, they are still the best in my book

-- "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Bibb in CO at http://katanadesign.com

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1977 days

#9 posted 1903 days ago

LOL Jim!!! yes.. we know!! if i find the loose screw rolling around the shop..I will mail it back to you..LOL

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#10 posted 1902 days ago

This goes to show that it’s rather pointless to have a high quality product, if you don’t have the support to back it up. I’m glad to see that they were so accommodating, I had a similar experience with Penn State Industries, I had ordered a pen kit, it came with a wrong part, called them up and in less then five minutes I had a replacement part in the mail.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Moron's profile

Moron

#11 posted 1901 days ago

I collect ….......and use their tools everyday,...........whats really nice about their tools is that

I’ve never had to call them!

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#12 posted 1901 days ago

If you ever have the chance to go by the Lie-Nielsen factory/showroom, do it. I think some of the lumber jocks here have a bigger shop than that outfit is operating out of. And they are all real down home folks. I’m not surprised that you get good customer service from them. It’s like a family business for everyone that works there. I use to love to stop by there when I lived in Maine. And yes, I have a couple of their planes and other accessories. Quality tools and quality people.

View lou's profile

lou

340 posts in 2067 days

they truley are something you can hand down to your grandkids.