D-Way Beading and Point/Teardrop Tool Review

Review by JimChrisawn posted 04-04-2016 01:52 PM 2716 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
D-Way Beading and Point/Teardrop Tool Review D-Way Beading and Point/Teardrop Tool Review D-Way Beading and Point/Teardrop Tool Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to share a brief review and some information on a few tools from Dave at D-Way tools. Let me begin by saying I have in no way been compensated for this review. The tools I am reviewing were purchased by me at Daves website at full price.

I would like to begin with the beading tools. Dave makes five sizes of beading tools. There are a lot of different beading tools on the market and I have tried a few of them, but these are standouts! They are used flute down and are made of excellent steel. They hold an edge extremely well and are really easy to sharpen. Be warned here though not to mess with the flute itself. They are sharpened flute up. The results of using these beading tools is excellent in almost any wood with practice. Speaking of practice, the tools are easy to use and get very proficient at quite quickly. If you buy a handle or make a handle, shorter is best as they work great on side grain , end grain, and face work. The quality of the tool is excellent as is fit and finish. I really can’t find any negative aspect of these tools.

The point tool or teardrop tool is a great detail tool and a very nice addition to the beading tools and opens a whole range of options of its own. It, like the beading tools, is of excellent quality, fit, and finish as well.

The bottom line is that if you want to add beading or more detail to your turnings these are really top quality tools to do that with and should last ones lifetime. I did a brief YouTube video review on them and a brief demonstration of them and I will include the link to my YouTube channel. Dave is a great guy and takes a lot of pride in producing his turning tools.

-- YouTube-Rock Springs Woodturner Always remember it's better to be seen than viewed!

View JimChrisawn's profile

JimChrisawn

#1 posted 04-06-2016 03:34 PM

I have purchased 4 tools from Dave and one of his CBN Wheels. They are amazing! I am new to turning and took the advice of the veterans on here of buying quality tools. I have Sorbey’s chisels and D-way plus a cpl carbides from captain Eddie.

Dave took the time to call me and explain what to get and what would be a waste. That goes a long way in my book.
Enjoy.

View JimChrisawn's profile

JimChrisawn

#2 posted 04-06-2016 04:42 PM

I have purchased 4 tools from Dave and one of his CBN Wheels. They are amazing! I am new to turning and took the advice of the veterans on here of buying quality tools. I have Sorbey s chisels and D-way plus a cpl carbides from captain Eddie.

Enjoy.

- Ken90712

Ken, I agree 100%. I had been commissioned to do a couple communion sets for two churches here in town. I was at a loss as to what to use for the inside finish of the challaces that wine wouldn’t ruin. I emailed Dave and he called me a bit later and was super helpful. I only buy my tools from Dave and Doug Thompson. Doug, like Dave, will take time to talk to you and help with solid advice. Another one that is also great is Lyle Jamesion.