Grizzly G0453 15" Planer

Review by Don K. posted 06-04-2009 08:18 AM 26686 views 1 time favorited 43 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0453 15" Planer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well As I recently stated….I did some serious upgrades in the old shop in the last few weeks, bought a new cabinet saw, new band saw, new jointer and a new planer. This first review will be over the new G0453 15” planer. (actually my second review…the jointer was a few weeks ago)

I did some serious thinking about which planer to buy….but decided to go with a new Grizzly since I have had such good luck with my Grizzly jointer. While I really wished I could have went with a 20” planer….... I figured I have gotten by for years with my old 12” Delta planer…..so a mobile 15” would be fine…also the 20” was allot more $$$$

I narrowed my choice between the G0453 and the G0453Z. The G0453Z had a spiral cutter head….the G0453 did not. But I KNEW after getting my new 8” Jointer with a spiral cutter head…that I had to have one on my planer. The two machines are identical with the exception of the cutter head, and a slightly different magnetic switch. The G0453 was almost $500 cheaper than the G0453Z AND had free shipping….which made a difference of almost $650. (Warning here….I am pretty good in the mechanical area, and could rebuild a diesel tractor engine almost before I could walk, lol. BUT if your not mechanically inclined…do NOT do this !!! Changing out the cutter head is way more complicated than just taking out a few bolts, you will have to strip the machine almost all the way down)

Here are the web site links for the two machines..

To buy the spiral cutter head for the G0453 was $495 (also free shipping)....so by buying the G0493, and buying the spiral cuter head seperate…I saved about $170 AND got a back up cutter head….not a bad deal.

I finally put it all together a couple of days ago and used it for the first time yesterday….all I can say is… WOW...smo0th as silk…no vibration….WAY quieter than my old Delta (I guess because of the spiral cutter head)....the over size in feed and out feed tables are great…and it needed VERY LITTLE adjustment out of the box. It was one of the easiest machines I have ever put together.

To anyone looking for a GOOD mid size planer…and not wanting to take out a second mortgage on their house to do so…I Highly recommend looking at the G0453. You will not be disappointed !!!!

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#1 posted 06-04-2009 08:35 AM

Kinda makes you wonder how they will improve it so in 20 years you can review your new Grizzly and say how much better it is than the old one :-))

#2 posted 06-04-2009 08:42 AM

Very true…..my old Delta planer is right at 20+ years old…..man I feel like I went from a gocart to a Ferrari lol….20 years from now ???? I couldn’t even begin to guess.

#3 posted 06-04-2009 01:00 PM

Thanks for the review, Don. I have a Delta benchtop now and am considering going with at least a 15 inch model down the road. This looks like a pretty good machine, especially with the spiral cutterhead.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2051 days

#4 posted 06-04-2009 02:02 PM

You done a good deal Don and should be real happy with its performance.

View Rileysdad's profile

Rileysdad

110 posts in 1968 days

#5 posted 06-04-2009 02:13 PM

I’ve had a GO453 for a while now and I’ve had some problems with snipe. Are you finding any in your work?

-- Measure twice, cut once, buy extra stock.

#6 posted 06-04-2009 03:19 PM

Rileysdad, No I have not yet. Of course I have not ran all the much through it yet, or it could be the cutter head. I have heard that the spiral cutter head would cut down on snipe.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#7 posted 06-04-2009 03:47 PM

great review – I think the major difference in noise and vibration between this one and your old delta is the fact the motor more than the spiral cutter. If I recall – the lunchbox planers are using Universal motor assembly- which ARE loud and hyperactive. :)

glad you’re enjoying your new board maker.looks like a keeper. I doubt you’ll need to upgrade this one in 20 years.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#8 posted 06-04-2009 03:54 PM

Thanks Purplev…..I agree, unless it dies out on me…I doubt I will ever need to upgrade…unless it is to “Up” size….I will say one thing….this thing is HEAVY, I am use to me little Delta…this thing weighs over 300 lbs, could be another reason why it does not vibrate, lol.

#9 posted 06-04-2009 04:50 PM

Hey Don
Good Review bud . I’m glad it’s working out for you. I’ve had had the 20” spiral for close to two years and I was amazed at how quite it was and smooth the cut was.

#10 posted 06-04-2009 07:02 PM

Thanks Jim,
No kidding about how smooth and quite it is…..I was simple amazed….I normally had to put on ear muffs when I ran my old Delta….and NEVER ran it late at night for fear of making the neighbors mad. I have a terrible case of insomnia…..and even though I am known to work in my shop late at night…I never ran any of my equipment that would annoy the neighbors…..As it is with all this new “Quite” stuff….I may NEVER get to bed, lol.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#11 posted 06-05-2009 03:55 AM

Hi Don

Glad to hear you are happy with your new planer. It is kind of nice to be able to buy new equipment. I sometimes wish I could go with some bigger equipment but space is a limiting factor. You enjoy that new piece of equipment!

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#12 posted 06-05-2009 04:31 PM

Thanks Tom !!!!

I added a warning to my original review, and thought I would re-add it here for those who already read the review, and are thinking of doing the same thing I did…Buying the unit with a bladed cutter head with the idea of changing it out for a spiral cutter head to save money.

I am pretty good in the mechanical area, and could rebuild a diesel tractor engine almost before I could walk, lol. BUT if your not mechanically inclined…do NOT do this !!! Changing out the cutter head is way more complicated than just taking out a few bolts, you will have to strip the machine almost all the way down.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#13 posted 06-06-2009 02:53 AM

I’ve got this planer without the spiral head cutter, and I’m real happy with it. Rileysdad, if you lower the bed rollers down to only about .002” rather than what’s recommended, it will cut your snipe down to nothing, provided your infeed and outfeed tables are aligned correctly. Don, let us know how long those spiral head cutters go before replacement.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5180 posts in 1998 days

#14 posted 06-06-2009 05:59 AM

Don,
I have had the G0453Z for about a year now and am extremely happy with it. The spiral carbide cutters are so quiet and smooth. I have run a lot of quarter sawn oak, cumaru, walnut. cocobolo, cypress, pine and other wood and it does such a great job on all with no snipe after playing around with various adjustments of the infeed and outfeed tables.
I know you will be happy as a termite in a sawdust pile with yours!

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#15 posted 06-10-2009 03:39 AM

So, what’s the advantage with Spiral-Cutterhead is it worth the extra $$$ ? It seems it would take longer to adjust those?
THX

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.