Magic Oil

Review by Smeric28 posted 1877 days ago 2328 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Magic Oil No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t have a single new power tool in my shop. I have inherited quite a collection and what I don’t have i like to buy from craigslist / ebay. This means that I do a lot of cleaning up and rust removing. So far I have bought a ridged contractor table saw circa 2000 a delta homecraft jointer circa 1950.

As you can Imagine they didn’t run so smooth at first. The table saw had been rusting in an aircraft hanger for a few years and had a light coating of rust on everything. the Homecraft i bought at an estate sale. I brought them both home and coated up all the moving parts the screws and pivots in the table saw, the blade bearings and adjustment screws and the surface between the infeed/outfeed tables and the base of the planer. And no kidding everything runs like new. I was amazed.

For 10 bucks i consider this stuff well worth it. It lets everything run like poop through a goose and wood chips and dirt don’t stick to it. I’ve lubricated hand cranks, adjustment screws, bearing surfaces, bearings themselves, I even put a squirt on the dovetail on my MKII jig and now the angle setting piece slides smooth. The best part is even though it is viscous like a light oil the protection stays and doesn’t run-off even when handled (the MKII). I doesn’t even smell bad, it smells kind of like a citrus meets exxon scent :P

-- "Think harder, Homer."

View Smeric28's profile

Smeric28

View loupitou06's profile

loupitou06

96 posts in 1924 days

Thanks for the review,

May I ask you when did you buy this, I found it online but was wondering if you had a local supplier.

Thanks

-- 100 fois sur le metier remettez votre ouvrage

View Smeric28's profile

Smeric28

bout 2 weeks ago at woodcraft. I bought from an actual store not offline, though it’s listed on their website www.woodcraft.com

-- "Think harder, Homer."

View brewtang's profile

brewtang

It’s also to spray on the inside of your saw cabinet to help the dust fall down to the collection port.

-- Billy, Jacksonville

Thanks for the post…I just purchased a well used DeWalt 733 planer that appears to have been in an unheated workspace for most of its life. Woodcraft is about 20 minutes away , so I think I’ll invest another $10 on my latest investment : )

111999 posts in 2175 days

good review

View stefang's profile

stefang

12565 posts in 1932 days

Yet another great product I can’t get in Norway. Anybody got some antidepressants?

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View chickenhelmet's profile

chickenhelmet

99 posts in 1910 days

Good tip! I also like to buy old tools and restore.

-- Larry , Colorado www.coloradorecordcrates.com

View ursus's profile

ursus

Nice tip. Another product that is outstanding for the restorer is Aero Kroil made by Kano Labs in Nashville. A friend that retired from DuPont maintenance said it is the best penetrating oil out there, and I find it does a great job….better than WD40, which was designed to remove moisture. I also use Amsoil MP as a penetrating oil and protectant. Amsoil synthetic products are outstand – I use many.

-- Ursus