It sucks, in a good way.

Review by Matt posted 03-29-2016 02:09 AM 4737 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It sucks, in a good way.  It sucks, in a good way.  It sucks, in a good way.  Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I purchased this from a local woodcraft @ $799 (on sale till the end of March) and it was forklift loaded in the bed of my truck. It was a fairly small pallet and my wife and I were able to unload it to the garage with little trouble. (She didn’t complain too much.)

I assembled it in about an hour, casually taking my time and it was pretty easy. All the tools are included to assemble, however it’s faster and easier to use real sockets/wrenches. I was able to assemble it on my own (The manual recommends having a second person to put the motor/fan housing on the stand) by laying the frame on it’s side and bolting it in on the floor. Another item that I’ve noticed – the model that I have has a hard structure between the cyclone housing and the filter structure. I’m guessing this in an improvement over the flexible hose in the stock photos on woodcrafts website for the item.

On it’s operation – it works great and for a one tool at a time shop, it’s perfect. I’ve got it connected to the lone ranger remote and that works just fine with it. The suction is good on all my devices and sufficient to keep the tools pretty clean while using them. I did clog it once when I forgot to turn it on, when face jointing a 5 1/2” cypress board and it clogged my jointer, then the DC had the muscle to unclog it, however on the two port inlet, there are gates that were clogged by the “large ball” of jointer shavings. This is more my fault than the DC so no deduction there.

A few items of note – The collection bin is pretty small. This is an upgrade from a modified HF DC with a donaldson filter and the normal bags and I have to empty the bin a good bit more than the HF bag. I think that I had to empty it 4 times while dimensioning about 40BF of mostly 4/4 (and a little 5/4) cypress to 3/4”; a positive is this process is very easy versus the bag and band of the HF DC. Overall I’m pretty happy with the purchase and I’m learning the quirks such as how quickly it fills up, and how not to clog it. If you do let it get too full, it will start to fill the bag under the filter, also a learning curve for me. For my hobby use, it really is perfect, and it’s a bit smaller and runs a little quieter than the HF as well.

I’ll add – the instructions are not clear on where to put the included weather stripping – there are two rolls (one roll has two strips intertwined and the other is wider. The wider strip goes on the bottom of the filter element (where the bag attaches) and the other two strips go on the location that joins the cyclone to the bucket lid, on the surface that is attached to the large flex hose.

#1 posted 03-29-2016 04:26 PM

Thanks for the review, looks like a great unit.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#2 posted 03-29-2016 05:02 PM

We use the heck out of ours at the shop and it has performed without any issues for a couple years.
Imo, the only flaw is the small collection bin like you said and the initial start up current occasionally plops the breaker in our old building. Other than that it is a great quiet unit, you will enjoy it for many years to come.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

#3 posted 03-29-2016 05:05 PM

- WhoMe

So after years of use – do you use the bags in the collection bin or just let the bin remain empty, I haven’t tried no bag yet, but I’m thinking it’ll add to bin capacity. I dump the bag in another bag and reuse it, and I’m curious on your experience. Thank you in advance!

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#4 posted 03-29-2016 11:08 PM

We have been using the plastic bags to death. If I remember, we were still using the thick laguna ones.
But having said that, I’m sure that using the bin by itself would be fine as long as the compressible gasket in the lid is in good shape. Or a thicker trash bag would work as long as you don’t need to look through the porthole.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#5 posted 03-30-2016 10:17 AM

Good review of a machine that I own. FYI -Here is a review that I posted on this machine http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/5978#comment-3074226. Were you able to assemble it by yourself?

-- Desert_Woodworker

#6 posted 03-30-2016 12:00 PM

- Desert Woodworker

Yea – I assembled it myself. Thanks for your review – it helped with my decision before purchasing.

View BEWoodworks's profile

BEWoodworks

#7 posted 03-30-2016 03:10 PM

I have this machine. Really enjoy having it. Items I noted when installing my system.
1. I used 6” metal duct. I could not find a good way to connect the 6” duct to the inlet on the cyclone. They are the same size.
2. My jointer (PM 54A) is on the opposite side of a faily small shop. Doesnt collect as much of the larger chips as I would like. Needs to go around and seal ducting better and see if it improves.
3. The small bag under the filter fills up faster than I expected. This could be a problem with my expecatations but empty bucket or full bucket I get about 4 full buckets of cyclone seperated chips before feeling this need to empty filter bag.

View RonnW's profile

RonnW

#8 posted 04-06-2016 07:30 PM

Strange, I empty my bucket every couple of weeks but have only emptied the bag once in three years and it wasn’t all that full.

View BEWoodworks's profile

BEWoodworks

#9 posted 04-07-2016 01:45 PM

Strange, I empty my bucket every couple of weeks but have only emptied the bag once in three years and it wasn t all that full.

- RonnW

Ron,
How full do you let your bucket get before you empty?

#10 posted 09-15-2016 03:16 PM

So I decided to use the bin with no bag and related bag frame. The capacity is likely 20% more volume of chips in the bucket and it seems to separate better as well – i.e. less chips in the bag under the filter. I’ve not had any trouble with sealing (so far) between the unit and the bin.