Works like a charm

Review by mummykicks posted 03-29-2016 01:32 AM 2907 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works like a charm No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not a plane fanatic like some, and in fact this is my first. I was having trouble controlling the dado depths on plywood sheets because of bowage and remembered seeing someone, somewhere using one of these things.
Anyway, I used it on my last project and it made a world of difference.
The adjustment wanders a bit, and by a bit I mean something like .005”-.01” on the depth, which is probably due to how I’m measuring it, but once it’s dialed in it works really well.

I was able to go through and get all my dado’s the right depth within .010” and it really helped things get pulled flat and square.
It is easy to sharpen even for a noob like me with just my diamond flip file. The only issue is the curly chips tend to clog my vacuum hose.
It was well worth the money, and from now on I will purposely leave my dado’s a little under and clean them up with this. It’s just one of those little things that once you use it you understand why stuff didn’t go together like it should have. Highly recommended if you do a lot of dado’s.

View mummykicks's profile

mummykicks

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#1 posted 03-30-2016 12:20 AM

Not sure I have ever seen one of these. I know what you are saying about cutting dados in plywood that is not absolutely flat. I even have trouble getting things to work out when it is fairly flat. I always thought that my projects should go together better than they were. Thanks for the post. I will have to look into one of these.

-- Joe - - Don't be pessimistic, it never works works anyway.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#2 posted 03-30-2016 04:27 AM

I’ll second the “5 Stars” for the router plane. It’s a revelation. Another really handy tool for tuning the fit of dadoes is a side rabbet plane. It’s like magic.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#3 posted 03-30-2016 04:36 AM

Pointer, it’s just the original motor less router. Awesome tools.

Veritas makes great tools

To me, you almost need to measure the depth as you go since the back of the iron is angled. Measuring to the very top of the iron by putting a metal caliper or whatnot isn’t something I would do since it might full the edge.

Enjoy your router. They are neat but simple tools.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#4 posted 03-31-2016 01:19 AM

Thanks Fridge. I see now. I didn’t have the router in mind to make the dados, but the table saw.

-- Joe - - Don't be pessimistic, it never works works anyway.

View ttocsmi's profile

ttocsmi

#5 posted 03-31-2016 02:10 PM

Also works great for tine-tuning tenons. I’ve had similar experiences with plywood dados & the router plane is awesome for cleaning those up.

I haven’t bought a new plane yet this year. Hmmm…

-- Knight of Sufferlandria 2015

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#6 posted 03-31-2016 02:56 PM

It helps if you keep downward pressure on the blade when adjusting the height. Then the slop/lashing of the adjuster nut doesn’t mess up your depth changes.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#7 posted 04-01-2016 01:01 PM

Try taking it to the next level:

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters