A solid performer

Review by loupitou06 posted 06-02-2009 04:16 AM 3799 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A solid performer A solid performer A solid performer Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi,

I’ve just received mu Grizzly G0513×2 band saw. I’ve selected it for it’s price, the reviews I could read on LJ and of course the free shipping the Grizzly is offering right now.

Warning : please do not make the same mistake I did and call grizzly before you order your equipement because back order is pretty long.

The Band saw came 90% assembled in a cradle and most of the assembly work consists of clean/install the cast iron table, install the fence and then tune the band saw.

For the tuning, the wheels seem co-planar but since the frame of the saw extend past the wheels, it is pretty difficult to align a straightedge on the rim of the wheels.

I did not use the supplied saw blade (1/2”), instead I’ve purchased 3 timberwolf blades (1/4”, 3/4” and 1”). I’ve tuned the saw for the 1” blade but let me tell you that installing/removing a 1” stiff blade into the body and wheels of the machine is really difficult. Specifically around the blade cover.

ven when everything was tuned up : tracking, lower and upper ball bearings guides and tension, the blade wants to be on the right side of the table insert. I need to move the cast iron table from the trunnion to get the blade to align with the kerf on the table insert.

I will also shim the table insert for it is not flush with the table.

Now on the positive side, I found the machine very quiet, powerful and with good finish to it.

I will update this review in a couple of time to comment on the long term usability but I would definitively recommend this saw

Hope you find this helpful,

Pierre

UPDATE 6/11/2009:
So I’ve been resawing q lot of Jatoba on this bandsaw (9” wide boards) with a Timberwolf 1” 3TPI blade. I’ve very happy with the saw being able to handle this type of jobs but I have found some issues:
  • Dust collection is not effective during resawing because you are obstructing the insert holes and all the DC is performed at the bottom of the saw.
  • I don’t like the metal parts surrounding the bottom guide bearing, it renders the blade change painful (especially for wide blades) and at any rate, that’s the job for the side bearings !
  • Getting a wide blade in/out of this saw is not trivial, partially because the blade is hidden very well, so it a plus/minus

-- 100 fois sur le metier remettez votre ouvrage

View loupitou06's profile

loupitou06

97 posts in 2012 days

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#1 posted 06-02-2009 04:33 AM

Man that is a beauty!! I know you are sawing with a huge smile on your face!! Congrats!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 06-02-2009 05:00 AM

congrats. keep us posted once you have some mileage on this one, and can validate it’s working capabilities. enjoy sawing.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

#4 posted 06-02-2009 05:33 AM

I have one of this model as well…and I’m completely satisfied with it…a fine bandsaw.

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

#5 posted 06-02-2009 12:46 PM

Thanks for the review, Pierre. I have always found Grizzly tools to be top quality and their customer service is solid. This is a nice saw that should give you years of service.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2047 days

#6 posted 06-02-2009 01:55 PM

A good sized mobile lockable bandsaw…......really nice.

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2012 days

#7 posted 06-03-2009 06:49 AM

I just received the same Band saw a few days ago….I am dying to put it together…been to darn busy to put it together so far. Thanks for the review…and heads up to the few problems you have had so far…I will know what to look for when I put mine together this weekend.

-- Don S.E. OK

View BigBard's profile

BigBard

#8 posted 06-04-2009 04:39 AM

LOL, I just bought the same saw. It arrived today June 3, I can’t wait to give it a whorl.

-- Carolina Panther fan!

#9 posted 06-04-2009 04:52 AM

congrats on your new saw

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2012 days

#10 posted 06-04-2009 05:18 AM

BigBard and loupitou06, looks like great minds think alike lol.

-- Don S.E. OK

View stp's profile

stp

#11 posted 02-05-2010 05:45 AM

whats the best mobile base for this beast.? Any feedback on what works best?

View loupitou06's profile

loupitou06

97 posts in 2012 days

#12 posted 02-05-2010 06:27 AM

I use the HTC mobile base, what I like about it is that when the base is in the lock position, the base rests on rubber pads rather than the wheels.

Hope this helps,