Eh- you will love it or hate it.

Review by kenthemadcarpenter posted 03-28-2016 02:42 PM 2046 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Eh- you will love it or hate it. Eh- you will love it or hate it. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The first part of this review is just focusing on the set up on the CRB 7 router jig attachment. Set up is pretty straightforward it’s not really that difficult to set up your router. I am using Ryobi router RE180Pl1G Plunge router. The only thing with this set up is they are assuming your router has the wing nuts for a straight edge already attached to your router, my router didn’t have them so I actually had to go to my local hardware store and buy some knobs. Now if you have the same router that I’m using you will want to get nobs that 7/8 diameter, 10/24 fine thread x at 1/4 to 1/2” length. If you’re using an aftermarket subbase on your router you may have to remove the subbase in order for it to properly lineup on the Jig. Other accessories that come with it include the circle cutting attachment and the two 10mm rods for doing larger circles. It also comes with the anti tip leg, and two mortise legs that can be position at different location on the jig to accommodate different size widths. (On my initial dry run, it seemed sloppy. It may be I need to perfect my technique.)
So far my only con is that it doesn’t come with a straightedge attachment, you have to buy that separately (yeah okay. I will just use a piece of scrap wood.and get the same effect)

More In depth: Opening up the package and what is included, you get the CRB7 JIG (obviously) it comes with a set of 2 rods 3 differents sizes, the first two are already attached to the jig, This set of rods will fit most routers including my Ryobi. The other two sets can be used instead for your router in case the first set is too big or small. It has the anti tip leg which is two pieces and it’s fairly long so you should be able to use it for most stock. You also get large knob handle that goes into the jig to help balance your router while using the jig. You also get a bag of small wood screws for different router jig operations , For making small circles with the router. You get a small brass insert that you use after drilling a small hole in the center of the workpiece and a screw, for larger circles you use the one or two of the 10mm rods , that screw into the rod opposite of the micro adjuster and a attachment that you would screw into the workpiece, that is pretty much it.

So far: I used the jig for making key hole slots. Now i could have used my router table for this operations. However when it comes to certain operations I Prefer to be able to see the actual cutting of the operation.
How I did it. :The first this I did was grabbed some Scrap stock of the same thickness and laid them out on my bench, next after I marked out and measured where I wanted my key hole slots I clamped my two scrap boards down, making sure i could slide my work piece through without any slop. Next i squared up the Crb7 Jig on the workpiece and scrap and screwed the jig to my scrap pieces, got it centered., marked a line on the workpiece where it meets the jig, measured two inches at the base of the jig made my stop line on the scrap.
And then repeated for the other two keyhole slots..

So for the operation I really wanted to use this for I will give it 5 stars.
As far as its other capabilities I really haven’t used it for those other operations. So I am not going to
Speculate as to how well it will do.
Price. Honestly I think it is way more expensive than it is worth. So for price and value I will have to give it 1 star.

Over all I would give this product 3 stars.

It does have it’s benefits, but with a little ingenuity some one could make a similar jig in their work shop for a lot less .

For some this might be a well worth investments,. For others it could be one of those take it or leave it.

Ken the Mad Carpenter©
Copyright 2016

View kenthemadcarpenter's profile

kenthemadcarpenter

View DW833's profile

DW833

220 posts in 1966 days

#1 posted 03-28-2016 03:18 PM

I have this same jig. Used it several times and agree with the points made. Had to make a couple of trips to get everything needed to attach to router. I’ll add two things I found using jig. My Bosch 1617EVS is not easy to attach to jig and takes considerable setup time. A plus for the jig is using it to make smaller circles.
Worked good for me when I used it for that task.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#2 posted 03-29-2016 12:54 PM

Sorry, I was so distracted by the copyright over the top of the picture, I couldn’t get past it to actually see the device. All I’m saying is that you can easily put a copyright either in a smaller version or with more see through watermark.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View abie's profile

abie

#3 posted 03-30-2016 02:27 PM

I love mine and in fact have the trend model and the M Power model
I am making a box for them and have made a circular pattern for the top of the box to show it’s capabilities.
My router is a trend so it works right out of the box…

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

678 posts in 2036 days

#4 posted 10-15-2017 02:19 PM

agree with Scott above. it’s too distracting.. find some other way to protect your stuff.. you have gone overboard with it. Oh.. and you copied and pasted your review in at least 2 places that I know of.. probably more that i dont. gotta get that brand out there, right?

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"